KPMG's Tax practice is a dynamic and successful area of our business. The Tax team works with a wide range of organisations and individuals, helping them to implement the tax approach that suits their needs. A constantly changing and increasingly high-profile field, Tax can offer a surprisingly broad range of quality career paths to ambitious people.
On our One Year Business Placement Programme, you'll get both technical training and personal development opportunities that will equip you with the skills you need to succeed in your career. It's all about gaining industry-leading work experience in a professional services organisation.
The Tax - Capital Allowances Advisory Services team includes a combination of surveyors, tax professionals and accountants who assist clients in increasing the tax relief available on their capital investments by:
- Applying legislation, case law and HMRC guidance to advise on the technical basis to claim capital allowances
- Carrying out site surveys to identify qualifying assets
- Liaising with property teams, contractors and external consultants to obtain relevant cost information
- Conducting valuation estimates where cost information is incomplete
- Advising on how the changing legislation effects the transfer of allowances following a sale (transaction due diligence)
- Advising on ad-hoc queries both from clients and other internal KPMG teams
- Producing capital allowances claim documents to submit to HMRC alongside the tax return
- Negotiating and agreeing claims with HM Revenue and Customs.
Capability: Tax & Pensions
Programme length: 1 year
Qualifications: See training and development section
As a general rule, you'll be expected to meet the following requirements (*or equivalents)
- Minimum Grade B GCSE* Maths
- Minimum grade B GCSE* English Language
- Minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff Points*
- On track to achieve a 2:1 degree or above in any discipline
- Ideally work experience in the construction or property industry
Please note that we only consider a candidate's 'top' 3 A-Level grades and do not accept General Studies.
At KPMG, we look at more than just your academic results. We will review your application, together with your performance in our assessments, to ensure that you have the best opportunity to demonstrate your potential. We will be considering your strengths and achievements alongside a number of other metrics, including technical background and/or experience, to ensure that you have the skills to succeed at KPMG.
Throughout the recruitment process we will be looking to learn more about your strengths.
To be successful on this programme, you will be required to demonstrate the strengths that we look for at KPMG.
Learn more about what we look for and how to apply here.
Training and development
On our Capital Allowances One Year Business Placement programme, you’ll get both technical training and personal development opportunities that will equip you with the skills you need to succeed in your career.
It’s all about gaining industry-leading work experience in a professional services organisation. In fact, we hope you enjoy it so much that you consider working with us full-time – after you’ve graduated, of course. Not only will we help you study towards a professional qualification, but we’ll also provide you with industry-leading training. The Academy provides a unique approach to your development through a range of learning activities, active development experiences and interactive community initiatives. It’s all part of what we call a networked learning community.
Additional important information
Key skills required:
- Shows a keen interest in the real estate and construction industry
- Communicates with impact, both with external advisors and clients, in a way that is open, honest, consistent and clear
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for own work
- Shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude when coping with pressure at work
- Continuously learns from experiences
- Works in a cooperative, respectful manner with colleagues, clients and the wider community
- Analyses problems, identifies core issues, investigates, evaluates and integrates information.