KPMG's Tax practice is a dynamic and successful area of our business. The Tax team works with a wide range of organisations and individuals, helping them to implement the tax approach that suits their needs. A constantly changing and increasingly high-profile field, Tax can offer a surprisingly broad range of quality career paths to ambitious people.
On our One Year Business Placement Programme, you'll get both technical training and personal development opportunities that will equip you with the skills you need to succeed in your career. It's all about gaining industry-leading work experience in a professional services organisation.
The Tax - Capital Allowances Advisory Services team includes a combination of surveyors, tax professionals and accountants who assist clients in increasing the tax relief available on their capital investments by:
- Applying legislation, case law and HMRC guidance to advise on the technical basis to claim capital allowances
- Carrying out site surveys to identify qualifying assets
- Liaising with property teams, contractors and external consultants to obtain relevant cost information
- Conducting valuation estimates where cost information is incomplete
- Advising on how the changing legislation effects the transfer of allowances following a sale (transaction due diligence)
- Advising on ad-hoc queries both from clients and other internal KPMG teams
- Producing capital allowances claim documents to submit to HMRC alongside the tax return
- Negotiating and agreeing claims with HM Revenue and Customs.
Our One Year Business Placement programme offers a valuable opportunity for you to gain experience in one of the world's leading tax and advisory organisations while developing your tax advisory and technology consulting skills. This one-year programme will give you an insight into our firm and help you to build your knowledge of how multinational companies do business. If successful, you could secure a place on one of our Tax Graduate programmes in 2024.
We’re reimagining how we work at KPMG. Our firm is creating a tech-driven business to empower and equip our people to be outstanding in delivery – through inspiring workspaces, innovative ways to collaborate and hybrid ways of working. In your role, you’ll work flexibly across your location region – at KPMG offices, engagement sites and from home.
Capability: Tax & Law
Programme length: 1 year
As a general rule, you'll be expected to meet the following requirements (*or equivalents)
- Minimum grade 6 GCSE Maths
- Minimum grade 6 GCSE English Language
- Minimum of 120 UCAS points under the 2017 tariff point system at A Level
- On track to achieve a minimum 2:1 degree in any discipline and in your penultimate year of university
Please note that we only consider a candidate's 'top' 3 A-Level grades and do not accept General Studies.
At KPMG, we look at more than just your academic results. We will review your application, together with your performance in our assessments, to ensure that you have the best opportunity to demonstrate your potential. We will be considering your strengths and achievements alongside a number of other metrics, including technical background and/or experience, to ensure that you have the skills to succeed at KPMG.
Throughout the recruitment process we will be looking to learn more about your strengths.
To be successful on this programme, you will be required to demonstrate the strengths that we look for at KPMG.
Learn more about what we look for and how to apply here.
Training and development
The training and development of our people is critical to the future success of our business. We want all of our trainees to embrace a growth mindset of learning every day, which is why we have created a rich curriculum and learning community to help trainees build their skills and fulfil their potential. This ranges from an immersive 5-day induction experience, formal training courses, leadership knowledge bites, learning journals, online courses and networking events – all aligned to our life-long learning strategy and part of our overall student package.
Additional important information
Whilst you will apply to a specific office location, you will likely be required to work flexibly across the region, at KPMG offices, client sites and with varying levels of home working.