The Innovation, Reliefs and Incentives (“IRI”) team is part of the wider Corporation Tax department and consists of engineers, scientists, accountants and tax professionals. They focus on assisting companies access tax relief through the R&D Incentive Scheme, which is a government regulated program supporting companies that work on innovative projects in science and technology. The IRI team work with companies from a wide range of industries including IT, construction, automotive, retail, financial services, energy and technology and includes:
- Working with the engagement team to develop claim methodologies and prepare R&D tax relief and Patent Box claims for submission to HMRC for both SMEs and large companies
- Managing overall client engagements, including liaison with KPMG and client staff
- Advising client technical specialists on the application of the R&D guidelines to their work
- Building an internal network within the wider tax practice of the firm
- Helping to establish and maintain strong client relationships with both existing and new clients
- Working with the KPMG finance and tax specialists to ensure that eligible R&D Tax expenditure and Patent income is correctly identified
- Assisting in progressing business development opportunities and to pitch for work with both new and existing clients
Our One Year Business Placement programme offers a valuable opportunity for you to gain experience in one of the world's leading tax and advisory organisations while developing your tax advisory and technology consulting skills. This one-year programme will give you an insight into our firm and help you to build your knowledge of how multinational companies do business. If successful, you could secure a place on one of our Tax Graduate programmes in 2024.
We’re reimagining how we work at KPMG. Our firm is creating a tech-driven business to empower and equip our people to be outstanding in delivery – through inspiring workspaces, innovative ways to collaborate and hybrid ways of working. In your role, you’ll work flexibly across your location region – at KPMG offices, engagement sites and from home.
Capability: Tax & Law
Programme length: 1 year
As a general rule, you'll be expected to meet the following requirements (*or equivalents)
- Minimum Grade 6 GCSE* Maths
- Minimum Grade 6 GCSE* English Language
- Minimum of 120 UCAS points* under the 2017 tariff point system at A Level
- On track to achieve a minimum 2:1 degree in a STEM related field and currently in your penultimate year of university
Please note that we only consider a candidate's 'top' 3 A-Level grades and do not accept General Studies.
At KPMG, we look at more than just your academic results. We will review your application, together with your performance in our assessments, to ensure that you have the best opportunity to demonstrate your potential. We will be considering your strengths and achievements alongside a number of other metrics, including technical background and/or experience, to ensure that you have the skills to succeed at KPMG.
Throughout the recruitment process we will be looking to learn more about your strengths.
To be successful on this programme, you will be required to demonstrate the strengths that we look for at KPMG.
Learn more about what we look for and how to apply here.
Training and development
The training and development of our people is critical to the future success of our business. We want all of our trainees to embrace a growth mindset of learning every day, which is why we have created a rich curriculum and learning community to help trainees build their skills and fulfil their potential. This ranges from an immersive 5-day induction experience, formal training courses, leadership knowledge bites, learning journals, online courses and networking events – all aligned to our life-long learning strategy and part of our overall student package.
Additional important information
Whilst you will apply to a specific office location, you will likely be required to work flexibly across the region, at KPMG offices, client sites and with varying levels of home working.