Pensions CoE – Benefit Calculation Specialist – Assistant Manager
Experience Level: Associate/Assistant Manager
Type: Full Time
Service Line: Audit
Pensions Centre of Excellence – Benefit Calculation Specialist – Assistant Manager
12 month Fixed Term Contract, attractive salary and bonus scheme
Location is flexible, can be any UK based location. Role likely to involve a mixture of working at home/office/client sites.
Responsible for delivering high quality pension benefit calculation support to our Pensions Assurance audit practice in relation to DB pension schemes.
KPMG’s Pensions Assurance practice provides audit services to over 300 pension schemes in the UK, including over 30% of the top 100 UK schemes, and sits within KPMG’s Pensions Centre of Excellence, alongside our Actuarial Specialists and Audit Assist teams.
Description of the role
• Key contact with audit team, with responsibility for collating relevant information from our pension scheme audited entities and their administrators/actuaries, raising queries and reviewing responses
• Responsible for testing benefit calculations (including transfer values, retirement lump sums and death benefits) and process followed where amounts are material to the pension scheme report and accounts
• Assist in managing process from initial scoping to final delivery of audit reporting, including presenting audit findings to pensions trustees
• Expected to develop specialist technical knowledge and contribute to research and knowledge sharing in one of a number of key areas (including benefit calculations, technical pensions knowledge, audit tools and procedures)
• Develop a detailed understanding of KPMG audit procedures and ensuring procedures are followed accurately
Leadership & Management
The successful candidate at assistant manager level will be expected to assist in running small teams to deliver audit cases, and to contribute to the overall success of the team. Assistant managers will carry out work and prepare reporting, with reporting being signed off at manager and senior manager level, and delivered in line with KPMG audit quality procedures. With the appropriate experience and exam progression, assistant managers can obtain the necessary accreditation to manage and have responsibility for their own portfolio.
Stakeholder Interaction & Challenges
Assistant managers will have the opportunity of client contact throughout, liaising with trustees, pensions managers, third party administrators and actuaries. You will liaise extensively with our audit colleagues in the Pensions Centre of Excellence, with responsibility for ensuring delivery to agreed timescales.
Impact, Risk, Accountability & Governance
The team delivers over 70 engagement each year, covering some of the UK’s largest private sector defined benefit schemes. A focus on quality and consistency is central to everything that we do.
The Person - Experience
The successful candidate will have a pensions background with experience in pensions administration and benefit calculation routines. The candidate should be working towards a recognised qualification (e.g. PMI). We provide exam and study support.
Expertise / Technical role requirements
• Good technical knowledge of DB pension schemes and individual benefit calculations
• Good knowledge of pensions administration requirements and relevant legislation
• Attention to detail, with a focus on quality and accuracy in calculations
• Good communicator and team player
• Consistently able to work at high level of intensity whilst maintaining a professional and positive approach
• Fully engaged and taking responsibility for own performance and development
• Developing delegation skills and proactive in helping junior team members to develop
• Strong Microsoft Excel and Word skills
Why Audit at KPMG?
Audit is the largest of our UK practices. Some of the world’s biggest companies rely on us to provide independent insight, challenge and expertise, so the work we undertake affects investment decisions, inspires confidence in public sector expenditure and supports our economic growth. Today, more than ever in disruptive times, audit is a function needed by society, and in the future, so we can capitalise, and grow. As part of the Audit team, you’ll be helping to build the confidence and trust that business and society need to thrive. We want to lead the conversation when it comes to shaping the future of the profession. And given the scale and variety of our audit engagements in both the UK and globally, we are well placed to create change. If you share our commitment to achieving excellence and working to the highest audit standards, are a natural collaborator who values different perspectives and relishes the opportunity to develop and progress - then KPMG could be the place where you can thrive.Read about Audit
With offices across the UK, we are part of a global network of firms providing Audit, Tax & Law, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology Services to diverse clients.About KPMG
They provide us with a strong sense of identity, ensuring we can grow stronger. They bind us together, across our different backgrounds and cultures, and are common to each of us. Explore more about why Our Values matter.Read more
From role sharing and flexible start and finish times to home working, we'll try and support the flexible work patterns that best suit you.Read more
Committed to inclusion
We want you to bring your full self to work - to make this a place where people from every background thrive.Read more
Supporting work returners
We welcome applications from people who have taken a career break.Read more
Applying with a disability
We're a member of the Business Disability Forum so please get in touch if you'd like to discuss any adjustments that you might need in the application process - and if you are successful beyond this.Read more
Our agency policy
We don't accept speculative CVs from agencies - you can see our policy on agencies here:Read more
Similar vacancies you might be interested in
Pensions CoE - Oversight Assistant Manager - Manchester
Pensions CoE - Oversight Assistant Manager - Birmingham
Pensions Centre of Excellence - Oversight Assistant Manager
Actuarial Specialist – Manager (FTC)
Strategy and Business Manager Talent CoE
KPMG Business Services
Client Payroll Specialist