Business Development Manager - Bristol
Capability: Coverage Central
Capability: Coverage Central
Experience Level: Manager
Type: Full Time
Service Line: Coverage Central
Apply for role
KPMG goes to market on a multi-disciplinary basis, leveraging insights to provide a broad range of solutions and services to assist our clients in meeting their business objectives and addressing areas of greatest challenge.
Within the Sales and Marketing
function, we provide the information, tools, support and challenge required to
identify, target, secure, retain and grow with our target clients, and initiate, pursue and win high-profile opportunities for the firm.
Roles and Responsibilities
You will be part of an established Sales and Marketing team in Bristol and across the UK. The UK Sales Team is at the forefront of our efforts to establish, build and retain business within our selected markets.
Sales is a high profile opportunity within KPMG. You will be playing a crucial role in helping to drive the business forward and will be part of a dynamic team culture offering strong internal networks and support. Your role will be to pursue leads and opportunities created via our various routes to market and manage a defined portfolio of clients in the Bristol region to generate revenues and pipeline.
Your main internal points of contact will be with the Office Senior Partners, Client Lead Partners, Sales Partners, Heads of particular Sectors and the Head of Clients and Growth. The focus of targets will be regionally based Private Capital ‘targets’ to drive relationships, raise awareness of KPMG’s brand, create opportunities, oversee strategic proposals and, ultimately increase revenue.
- Work on a diverse portfolio of targets focused on creating relationships and new opportunities.
- Spend 80% of time engaged in sales activities
- Identify and gather information on new client issues through primary (face-to-face) meetings
- Facilitate expansion of points of contact between KPMG and clients. Create, maintain and drive the execution of the relationship map and plan to develop many to many contacts.
- Personally lead development of those relationships where KPMG has no existing relationship
- Develop peer relationships with client staff and procurement teams
- Co-ordinate client relationship events and ensure return on investment is measured through deepened relationships and increased opportunity for KPMG to work with the client
- Identify and build relationships with regional influencers by attending events, hosting internal sales meetings and supporting Client Service Teams (CSTs), sharing best practice and seeking opportunities to raise profile externally
- Understand KPMG’s approach to managing the sales pipeline and converting opportunities
- Act as a role model for Business Development across agreed portfolio and Region
- Focus on current issues to ensure that time sensitive solutions and ideas are communicated to clients using internal network to identify KPMG’s angle and develop a proposition to take to the client
- Identify opportunities at the client and individuals to target.
- Boost sales conversion through deploying rigorous sales processes, pricing, contracting and negotiation, to win work across multiple channels
- Work with and across functions and functional partners to enhance sales efforts. Agree sales strategy to penetrate the account, assign ownership for relationships with key stakeholders and ensure appropriate visibility at board level.
- Ensure all sales activities are consistent with KPMG account plan sales process, client service meetings, client service reviews etc.
- Act as a focal point for articulating and selling new propositions
- Actively seek opportunities to add more value to the client, through cross-functional solutions
- Provide visibility of sales pipeline by ensuring SAP pipeline management systems are kept up to date
- Ensure major opportunities/actions from account plans are reviewed and challenged regularly
- Coach teams in sales/proposal best practice
- Build a strong and extensive external network, raising your profile with key businesses and multipliers, including sector specialists lawyers, banks, etc.
- Leverage KPMG network by encouraging and facilitating cross- functional involvement
- Act as a focal point for communications between the client and KPMG team
- Leverage the internal talent pool by securing the best people for your clients
- Facilitate communication amongst team members; develop client knowledge to encourage communication and discussion amongst the CST.
- Share knowledge of sales and relationship management by informally seeking opportunities to coach and mentor partners and emerging leaders
- Bring new ideas and methods to accounts and liaise with other account team members to ensure that best practice is shared, client and regional intelligence is communicated and the team has a good understanding of what services are selling well
- Understand the wider offerings of the firm and gain a good understanding of broader sector / client trends, issues, needs, and potential applicability / relevance across own portfolio
- Provide sales forecasts by involving all functions that can add value to the account, including regular meetings with all functions involved with the account. This includes working on behalf of services that the client doesn’t buy in order to open the door
- Manage tenders and the pitch process, providing challenge and support. Ensure that our client knowledge is best represented, and inject the client perspective into the process. Ensure that our responses to RFPs score well. This includes developing clear client USPs that support the strategic direction of KPMG with that organisation/authority.
- Net sales YTD – by client
- Growth v PY and v budget
- Pipeline YTD - with a focus on those programmes that you are driving
- New relationships you have initiated/developed this year and/or examples of existing relationships strengthened
- Feedback comments from Sales Partners, Sector Heads and Client Lead Partners
- Client feedback
- Performance relative to the BDM ‘gold standard’ behaviours
- Strength of external network and profile
- Wider contribution to the regional sales effort
Skills & Experience Required
- Able to drive value-adding business conversations with clients
- Tangible income generation evidence
- Sets the standard for insight and opinions delivered to the client, as is knowledgeable on both client business issues and KPMG solutions and can match both effectively through assimilation.
- Be confident interacting at the most senior levels internally and externally, while at the same time able to interact well with peers and other more junior members of the team
- Strong questioning and listening skills with ability to see the bigger picture
- Effective networker with ability to understand client needs
- Good thinker with ability to understand concepts and with relevant industry experience
- Mature in outlook, with strong influencing skills (internal and with client) and diplomacy
- Positive and enthusiastic manner in dealing with a cross section of people
- Practical but can think strategically
- Be well organised, detail-conscious, pro-active, hard-working, and resilient
- Be flexible in their approach and able to work under pressure
- Experience of sales or a client-facing professional role and understanding of professional services markets an advantage.
With offices across the UK, we are part of a global network of firms providing Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology Services to diverse clients.About KPMG
From role sharing and flexible start and finish times to home working, we'll try and support the flexible work patterns that best suit you.Read more
Committed to inclusion
We want you to bring your full self to work - to make this a place where people from every background thrive.Read more
Supporting work returners
We welcome applications from people who have taken a career break.Read more
Applying with a disability
We're a member of the Business Disability Forum so please get in touch if you'd like to discuss any adjustments that you might need in the application process - and if you are successful beyond this.Read more
Our agency policy
We don't accept speculative CVs from agencies - you can see our policy on agencies here:Read more
Similar vacancies you might be interested in
Senior Business Development Manager - Bristol
Senior Business Development Manager - Aberdeen
Senior Business Development Manager - Industrial Manufacturing
Senior Business Development Manager - Banking
Manager, National Security – Business Analyst