Head of Technology Category
Capability: KPMG Business Services
Capability: KPMG Business Services
Experience Level: Senior Manager
Type: Full Time
Service Line: Finance
KPMG provides Audit, Tax and Advisory services to clients with these client-facing functions supported by a central function, KPMG Business Services (KBS). Within KBS, the firm has an established Procurement function resourced with qualified procurement professionals, supported by an outsourced procurement services provider, responsible for supporting the firm’s £450m+ expenditure on bought-in goods & services.
The Procurement function‘s objectives are:
- To be regarded as an invaluable business partner by the firm’s Infrastructure functions (in particular Facilities, HR , Marketing and IT) and by the wider business functions (Audit, Tax, Advisory and Markets)
- To drive the continuous improvement of third-party goods & services and minimise the risks associated with commercial contracting activities through the application of best-practice procurement across the firm
- To support the business with technology investments to enable profitable revenue growth
- To deliver year-on-year financial benefit to the firm
Overview of the Position
Procurement’s sourcing activities are managed by three core category teams; Corporate Services (Facilities & Marketing Services, HR & Professional Services), Technology Services and Travel Services. The Head of Technology Category, reports to the Chief Procurement Officer.
Technology spend overall for KPMG LLP is circa £90m per annum, incapsulating both internally and externally focussed Technology spend. Whilst internally focussed Technology spend represents a large proportion of this spend, the externally focussed technology spend, also encompasses a revenue exposure as the services are more directly associated to external KPMG client delivered solutions.
The Head of Technology Category is responsible for maximising the contribution of the Technology Services category to the firm. Leading and working together with the retained KPMG procurement leadership team and outsourced Procurement service provider to provide commercial, contractual and risk management expertise to the firm’s KBS and Client facing functions, including Client facing teams including Technology, Tax, Audit, Risk and Management Consultancy capability groups.
Providing strategic support of the key stakeholders and budget-holders responsible for expenditure and supplier relationships in related category supply chains. Stakeholders will operate in multiple business market sectors and deploy a broad range of services and solutions often underpinned by third party technologies and via strategic business partnerships.
The Head of Technology Category main responsibilities are:
- Develop and deliver strategies which deliver enablement-focussed sourcing and commercial advisory expertise to KPMG Client-services teams to provide a low-friction procurement service which optimises quality, cost, and time to market outcomes for KPMG and its Clients.
- Delivering quality client service careful management of potential tensions between business requirements and the application of procurement best practice
- Operate as a trusted business advisor to the Technology function and become accepted as an integral member of the internal functions’ governance and management structure
- Contribution to the overall strategic direction of Procurement through active participation on the Procurement Leadership Team (PLT)
- Where applicable, provide management & leadership of category team resources (direct and remotely deployed). Activities may include implementation of Managing for Excellence methodologies in respect to recruitment, staff retention and personnel development (including goal-setting & appraisal) and optimal allocation of resources to projects & activities. People management responsibilities will not apply in respect to the outsourced providers’ resource.
Strategy and Innovation
- Strategic management of the category including analysis, planning, target-setting and performance monitoring, working in conjunction with the outsourced provider to seek the optimum strategic approaches and maximising value add.
- Embedding wider Firm or team-driven innovation into category management and client support activities
- Execution of a category plan; oversight and effective management of all sourcing & contracting activities (including support of applicable client activities & projects, contract renewals, extensions, variations, terminations etc.) and category development activities
- Application of the firm’s independence & reciprocity policies, and application of the department’s standard processes, tools, templates & systems to all sourcing & contracting activities
- Appropriate consideration of CSR & diversity criteria in all sourcing & contracting activities and active participation in the firm’s Sustainable Procurement & CSR Programme
In particular the position requires:
- Broad procurement experience with a proven track-record of successfully delivering and/or contributing to the development & implementation of procurement solutions across the spectrum of people, policy, process, systems etc.
- Proven track-record of successfully creating category strategies, leading and executing sourcing projects within the Technology category to deliver quality, service risk and commercial benefits across the spectrum of IT software (purchase, development, support), hardware & infrastructure (End User Services, Server/Storage, Data Centre & Cloud), services (applications development, on & off-shore managed services, support & maintenance, integration services etc.) and Network & telecoms (voice, data, mobile, networks) etc.
- Service-centric approach, evidence of using commercial acumen as well as a clear understanding of objectives and priorities to consistently deliver positive outcomes for Stakeholders, including the realisation of solutions delivered both internally and directly to a client of the firm.
- Experience in complex solutions and services engagements, including strong experience in complex Information Protection and Risk Assurance processes
- Experience of working in a leveraged Procurement function, supported by an outsourced provider, within a blended delivery service of both on-shore, nearshore and off-shore
Qualifications and Experience
- Preferably a fully qualified member of applicable national Procurement institute (e.g. CIPS, NEVI etc.)
- Substantial demonstrable experience in procurement or equivalent commercial roles, preferably with the majority within the Technology Services category, with direct exposure leading innovative Technology solutions
- Relevant industry experience; Professional Services, Financial Services etc.
Why KPMG Business Services at KPMG?
Every day our firm performs better because of how we work together, as one team, each the best at what we do. The difference we make shines through to our people and our clients. We’re KPMG Business Services (KBS). We’re a cross-functional team, bringing together experts across a wide range of critical activities which help to grow, run and protect our business. From HR and Learning, Finance, Procurement, Facilities and Operations, through to Risk and Legal, Corporate Affairs, and Market Development, our approach is focused on driving the improved performance of the firm. We work shoulder to shoulder with our client-facing teams and we focus on delivering our services in ways which help to drive efficiency, improve quality and enhance our firm’s brand and reputation.Read about KPMG Business Services
This is an opportunity to join a team of expert professionals with a proactive approach to problem-solving and a commitment to adding value. The work we do here is very varied. You could find yourself looking after our management systems, inputting into the leadership decision-making process, providing tax expertise or working as a business partner for different service lines. We have a very inclusive environment with plenty of scope for career development, potentially including support for professional qualifications. Put simply, if you have a focus on delivering excellent work and high-quality service in the Finance space, we'll do all we can to help you achieve your full potential.Read about Finance
With offices across the UK, we are part of a global network of firms providing Audit, Tax & Legal, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology Services to diverse clients.About KPMG
They provide us with a strong sense of identity, ensuring we can grow stronger. They bind us together, across our different backgrounds and cultures, and are common to each of us. Explore more about why Our Values matter.Read more
From role sharing and flexible start and finish times to home working, we'll try and support the flexible work patterns that best suit you.Read more
Committed to inclusion
We want you to bring your full self to work - to make this a place where people from every background thrive.Read more
Supporting work returners
We welcome applications from people who have taken a career break.Read more
Applying with a disability
We're a member of the Business Disability Forum so please get in touch if you'd like to discuss any adjustments that you might need in the application process - and if you are successful beyond this.Read more
Our agency policy
We don't accept speculative CVs from agencies - you can see our policy on agencies here:Read more
Similar vacancies you might be interested in
Head of Learning Content Enablement (Senior Manager)
KPMG Business Services
Senior Legal Advisor – International Office of General Counsel
KPMG Business Services
Technology Risk Manager - Financial Services
Technology Programme Lead
Solutions & Digital
Senior Manager – Cyber – Operational Technology
Technology Consultant - Senior Manager