How to Apply: Behavioural capabilities
During the recruitment process, you might hear the phrase ‘Behavioural Capabilities’ a lot. By this, we mean the skills and behaviours that every person here at KPMG shares. We come from diverse backgrounds and our behaviours unite us. We don’t just want to know how you act in certain situations – we want to see that you believe in the values that underpin our business.
We look at the nine key areas listed below. When preparing for your interview, you should consider how you’ve demonstrated these behaviours in your life. Think about specific things you’ve done in the last two to three years - occasions from hobbies and academia, to part-time jobs and extra-curricular activities. Remember what you did, the role you played and what challenges you faced.
1. Career Motivation
Deciding where to begin your career can be difficult. You might apply to a number of different organisations. But we want to see that you’ve identified why you want to work for us in particular, and have thought carefully about your chosen field.
- Thought about why you think you’d enjoy working for KPMG?
- Found out as much as you can about the work involved?
- Reviewed the careers website (www.kpmgcareers.co.uk) thoroughly and looked for any further information?
- Got an understanding of what you’ll be doing early on in your career?
2. Delivers Quality
To meet deadlines and work commitments efficiently, you’ll need to be able to plan, prioritise and prepare in advance. There are sure to be occasions in your KPMG career where you’ll have less time than you’d like to complete a task.
So, can you:
- Take a structured and methodical approach to your work?
- Keep track of your progress towards a goal?
- Manage multiple tasks and plan your time efficiently?
3. Drives Collaboration and Inclusion
Building relationships is a big part of success at KPMG. Ours is a diverse and inclusive culture. Whichever area of our business you join, you’ll work as part of a team on a regular basis. So we’re looking for people who enjoy sharing and discussing ideas. Client contact is also a huge part of what we do, so being able to make lasting connections is crucial.
- Understand the needs of different audiences and adapt your communication style and method accordingly?
- Try to get everyone involved when you're working with other people?
- Avoid blaming others and help your team to learn from any mistakes?
4. Strives for Continual Improvement
As you can imagine, the opportunities available at KPMG are huge. If you want to develop both professionally and personally, we can offer you the tools to go far. But you’ll drive a big part of that journey yourself. So we expect you to have the motivation to achieve your potential.
- Actively seek feedback on your performance and learn from your experiences?
- Have a realistic view of your strengths and weaknesses?
- Believe that other people may be better placed to guide you?
5. Exercises Professional Judgement
At KPMG, we’ll look to you to provide solutions. We will give you the autonomy to make decisions. So we need to be sure you have the ability to analyse information and provide your solution with clarity and confidence.
- See the key issues and then tackle them in a rational and logical manner?
- Feel comfortable analysing numerical data and extracting key information?
- Think through all the options systematically before making a decision?
- Grasp information quickly?
6. Makes an Impact
To make an impact with colleagues and clients, you must be able to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing. It’s important that people are confident in what you have to say, and that you’re able to articulate your point in an appropriate way.
- Communicate your ideas persuasively both verbally and in writing?
- Stick to the point and not get distracted?
- Cut through jargon to provide a clear message for your audience?
7. Seizes Business Opportunities
It’s vital that our people are genuinely interested in business and commercial issues. Everyone here needs to understand the external marketplace and the issues our clients face. We really want you to be passionate about the business world.
- Have you had a job/work experience where you gained insight into the factors affecting a business?
- Did you identify areas where the business could be further developed?
- Do you keep up-to-date with business news?
- Can you offer ideas about how businesses could improve their operations?
8. Demonstrates Innovation and Curiosity
To solve problems in innovative ways, you must be able to think creatively. So we look for strong problem-solvers who can go beyond the obvious solution.
- Can you think laterally about a problem you’re faced with?
- How do you cope when circumstances change? Are you happy to adapt?
- Are you generally curious about why things happen in the way they do?
We’ve all faced times when challenges must be overcome to achieve a goal. What’s important is how we react to these challenges and keep motivated in difficult situations. The workplace is no different. There will be times when you face a challenge or obstacle and/or have to work under pressure.
- Do you get your projects completed on time, without too much panic, loss of sleep, or missing out socially?
- Can you think of setbacks, in education or work, that you've overcome?
- Are you looking for a career in a challenging, fast-paced environment?