I'm looking for
Search results for ""
Audit Assistant Manager – Public Sector Audit
Service Line: Audit
Audit Assistant Manager (Glasgow or Edinburgh)
Service Line: Audit
Our audit client base extends across the Public Sector in London and South East, with key sectors being Healthcare (NHS), Social Housing and Higher Education, Central Government and Charities. As an Audit Assistant Manager you will get to work with a wide range of clients within a cross functional office. We have a number of high profile clients in the Public Sector including several large NHS Foundation Trusts, Universities and Social Housing Groups and our assistant managers benefit from working with a varied client base.
The Person - Role and Responsibilities
Assistant manage and deliver audit engagements from planning through to completion. The role will require proficiency in IFRS and UK GAAP (FRS102). You will have your own portfolio of clients with responsibility for agreeing audit timetables, briefing the audit team, including other specialists, monitoring budgets and supervising the KPMG audit process. This will include:
- To support the Audit Manager in managing engagements, overseeing audit assistants’ work ensuring compliance with client, statutory and KPMG Audit Methodology requirements, appreciating relevant internal and external market factors, ensuring the effective and timely delivery of engagements
- Help oversee and direct the budgeting, planning, co-ordination and control of engagements in accordance with client, statutory, KPMG Audit Methodology and business requirements to ensure effective service delivery and maximised recoverability
- Direct, coach and mentor audit assistants to assist them in the effective delivery of engagements and the direction of their subordinates ensuring cost effective, timely completion and effective service delivery to the required standard on each engagement
- Nurture and seek worthwhile relationships with clients, business departments and staff, for the sharing of information and to identify and progress current and future Audit requirements
- Assist the Managers, Directors and Partners in monitoring the effectiveness of Audit services delivered, providing feedback and reflection on the quality of service accordingly
- Preparation some draft reports to senior client management and audit committees
The Person - Experience and Background
- Leadership skills and ability to act as a role model
- Drive and resilience and ability to thrive in a pressured environment
- Knowledge and experience of auditing and experience of systems/controls testing as well as substantive auditing, including consolidations, group audit, review of statutory accounts and disclosures
- Sound working knowledge of IFRS and UK GAAP
- Experience in working with Public Sector audited entities (preferred but not essential)
- Well-developed supervisory skills e.g. coaching and motivation
- Strong project management techniques including decision-making ability, analytical skills, time management, organisation and evaluative skills.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills, both verbal and written
- IT literacy with sound knowledge and experience of Excel/Word
- Proven research skills e.g. information seeking and knowledge sharing, understanding and interpreting information/applying knowledge
- Able to demonstrate strong business development acumen
Qualifications and Skills
Time and Exam Qualified Accountant - ACA, ACCA or equivalent
Significant and recent experience as an Audit Assistant Manager in an external audit capacity
Current accounting and financial reporting standards including IFRS and GAAP standards
You will work on a portfolio of clients within a cross functional office, alongside our advisory and tax functions.
Why Audit at KPMG?
Audit is the largest of our UK practices. Some of the world’s biggest companies rely on us to provide independent insight, challenge and expertise, so the work we undertake affects investment decisions, inspires confidence in public sector expenditure and supports our economic growth. As part of this team, you’ll be helping to build the confidence and trust that business and society need to thrive.
We want to lead the conversation when it comes to shaping the future of the profession. And given the scale and variety of our audit engagements in both the UK and globally, we are well placed to create change.
When you join our Audit team, we’ll make sure you can stretch your skills across diverse engagements and broad opportunities. This will include ongoing training and development through a mix of internal and external learning initiatives
We’re looking for people who share our commitment to achieving excellence and working to the highest audit standards. Natural collaborators who value different perspectives and relish the opportunity to develop, progress and help us create an environment where talent thrives and quality outcomes are intrinsic to everything we do.
- Planning and project managing all aspects of audits.
- Leading teams on the ground, reporting directly to the manager on a day to day basis.
- Budgeting and monitoring the financial performance of projects, focusing on optimising profitability.
- Identifying, researching and helping to resolve complex audit issues.
- Supervising and coaching junior members of staff to help them realise their full potential.
- Building relationships with the client staff and acting as an ambassador for the firm.
- Keeping up to date with KPMG's product and service offerings and identifying the sales opportunities that will help us grow our business
- Reporting to audit managers and partners on all salient points arising from audits.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Recently qualified ACA or equivalent qualification (including
SAICA, CPA or equivalent)
- Strong IT literacy, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Recent relevant external audit experience from a top 10 accountancy firm
- Mixed sector Audit experience including some large corporates
- We will also consider candidates who are exam qualified and nearing full qualification / membership.
-Demonstrating practical knowledge of UK GAAP/US GAAP, IFRS, and IAS
- Identifies and pursues business opportunities.
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for own work.
- Sustains a high level of drive, shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude when coping with pressure at work. Continuously learns from experiences.
- Seeks out feedback and development opportunities.
- Gives clear directions, positive and constructive feedback
- Coaches less experienced staff. Analyses problems, identifies core issues, investigates, evaluates and integrates information.
- Builds the reputation of KPMG through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- Monitors and upholds high quality of service and products to clients (internal and external).