I'm looking for
Search results for ""
Director - HR M&A
Service Line: Transaction Services
Associate Director - Power & Utilities - Reg Finance
Service Line: Corporate Finance
Associate Director - Working Capital
Service Line: Transaction Services
M&A Associate (LEEDS)
Service Line: Corporate Finance
Associate Director - P3M - MPA
Service Line: Corporate Finance
Manager - M&A - Energy
Service Line: Corporate Finance
KPMG research shows that 2/3 of deals fail to deliver value, and amongst the top reasons are People and Culture.
HR M&A was set up as part of the Integration & Separation (I&S) team in Deal Advisory, which has been growing year on year. We have worked on some of the largest and most high-profile client engagements in the deals space, including multi-billion spins, integration of global mega mergers, disposals of non-core assets for large multinationals. We have launched a market differentiating digital engagement platform for M&A as well as a campaign focused on ‘the Human Side of Deals’, and we continue to drive digital innovation. This is an opportunity to be part of a fast growing, dynamic and diverse team, made up of HR deals professionals working alongside with deal execution teams on large scale, global integrations, separations and JVs. The Director role is critical to the continued growth of the practice.
We advise on all aspects relating to HR and change management on the deals process from HR due diligence through to deal execution. Our focus areas:
1) Employee experience: Shaping the employee experience strategy and executing an engagement program. This often is based on our unique digital engagement platform, to ensure that the workforce is engaged and key talent is retained in order to protect deal value
2) Organisational Design: OD, people strategy, operating model, driving synergies and value enhancements for integrations, carve-outs or JVs. Managing the talent risks and retention strategies, putting in place the strategy and execution programme to stand up ComCos.
3) Labour relations and compliance: Ensuring that labour and HR risks and obligations are understood and managed globally in order to deliver on the deal timelines and planned changes. We have one of the strongest experiences in workforce transition in the market.
4) HR operations: HR Operations focuses on the integration of the HR function itself, from strategy, operating model, integration or separation of systems and processes including standing up/securing payroll on deals.
Our wider Integration & Separation (‘I&S’) deals team culture and HR M&A ways of working are highly collaborative, open and high performing. The director will be a part of the HR M&A leadership team.
Roles & Responsibilities
You will be responsible for leading HR M&A related business development, client delivery and practice development for the HR M&A team.
Your responsibilities will include:
• To work collaborative with the HR M&A partner and fellow directors, as well as the wider I&S and DA partners and directors to pursue and land deal opportunities. Our team truly believes in the success of ‘hunting in packs’. We land more deals and bigger deals by working together across Deal Advisory and across borders.
• To bring compelling and differentiating HR M&A solutions to our clients deal challenges, and to demonstrate the breadth and depth of our experience in advising and supporting our clients to successfully pursue and execute on complex deals.
• To scope, price, resource winning proposals and engagements.
• To build and expand client relationships on large corporates, making us the trusted advisors from one deal to the next.
• To market and create leads for our HR M&A work internally within KPMG as well as externally in the marketplace.
• To identify and pull through relevant KPMG services, e.g. Management Consulting People & Change, People Services etc.
• Scope, plan and lead the delivery of HR M&A engagements from pre-deal HR due diligence to in deal execution whether separations, integrations or JVs.
• Manage the risks and successful delivery of HR M&A projects, including exceeding client expectations, managing the team and delivering on the commercial commitments.
• Drawing on knowledge and experience of HR in deals to provide high quality and deep insights, advice and challenge to our senior clients.
• Interfacing with senior external and internal stakeholders both at clients and within KPMG.
• Growing and managing relationships with key client C level executives.
• Being accountable for engagement management including quality and risk management for the project.
People and Practice development:
• Be a key driver and contributor to the strategy and growth plans of our HR M&A business
• Coaching, stretching and mentoring team members within HR M&A and wider I&S team
• Leading, advising and challenging our HR M&A team to support our clients throughout the deal lifecycle.
• Be a part of the practice leadership team, e.g. guiding team members to manage the practice commercials, pipeline and resourcing processes.
• Drive digital innovation including the development of compelling HR M&A propositions to provide market growth opportunities.
Experience and skills
Big four consulting experience in preparing and delivering HR, OD or Strategy programmes in deals including:
• Strong business development track record
• Ability to shape and sell complex HR and change management solutions to large corporate clients
• Track record in collaborating across different areas to shape, sell and deliver complex client engagements
• Ability to build deep senior level client relationships, and be a trusted client advisor
Leading teams to deliver on:
• HR due diligence – writing and reviewing/ensuring quality of reports
• Plan, advise and execute on integrations and separations across people strategy and OD, people transition, culture, employee experience, HR infrastructure, and systems.
• Advise, challenge and support clients through the deal life cycle including deal execution
Experience and technical expertise in several of these areas:
• Operating model, organisation design and execution
• Talent retention strategy, talent pooling and assessment & selection
• Cultural assimilation, shaping employee experience strategy and execution
• Headcount and HR related synergies, e.g. workforce optimisation, managing RIF programmes and large-scale workforce transitions
• HR operating models, including organisation, systems and processes – integrating, carving out or setting up from scratch
• Labour relations e.g. TUPE, restructuring and redundancy, union negotiation strategies and CLAs.
• Understanding of the deal lifecycle and the role of HR and change management
• Strong senior stakeholder management skills including building senior client relationships and excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Team development and leadership experience
• Ability to sell, shape and lead large, complex global programmes
• Resilience and driven, with the ability to thrive in a highly pressured deal environment.
• Ability to be flexible, with willingness to travel if required as well as managing virtual teams and client projects in a hybrid working world.
• Min. Bachelor's degree qualification, preferable in HR or business administration
KPMG’s Infrastructure Group in the UK consists of c150 professionals and is widely recognised as one of the world’s leading independent business, financial and regulatory advisers in infrastructure. The group has won many awards, including Financial Advisor of the Year (Infrastructure Journal) for several years. The group has locations in London, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leeds and Manchester, but is organised on a national basis, operating under a single national cost centre.
We provide in-depth advice on strategic, financial, regulatory and commercial issues driving investments in infrastructure across Transport, Power & Utilities, and Social Infrastructure in the UK and globally. Our work includes market and policy design, economic and regulatory analysis, deal structuring and execution, as well as strategic and transaction advice to enable private and public capital to fund infrastructure. We work closely with other functions within KPMG to advise clients on mergers and acquisitions, valuations, tax, accounting, and due diligence.
The utilities sector is the largest business area for the Infrastructure Group and encompasses work for large clients in the sector, including all of the leading UK energy and water companies as well as some of the largest utilities in Europe and beyond. We provide in-depth strategic and technical advice on corporate finance and corporate financial management, regulatory finance, regulatory policy, business and financial planning, cost assessment and benchmarking as well as other drivers affecting value. Our work combines elements of policy, finance, strategy and economics to assist our clients in structuring investments, securing financing, supporting regulatory regimes and maximising shareholder value. We are widely recognised by many industry stakeholders as market leaders influencing the future of the utilities sector.
Our business is continuously expanding and we are looking for high quality candidates to support our Power & Utilities business with a particular focus on cost assessment, modelling and benchmarking as well as financial analysis. This is to support the development of new service lines, building on the work already undertaken in the Group.
- Building relationships with clients and developing wider networks with clients and other advisors
- Running coverage of clients, supporting our reputation as a leading advisor in the utilities sector
- Developing market intelligence and sector knowledge
- Maintaining a good understanding of regulatory finance issues in the regulated sectors e.g. on setting the cost of capital or assessing financeability, as well as how regulatory mechanisms interact with or impact the actual financing of regulated businesses
- Proactive business development to identify new opportunities
- Leading the development of proposals and supporting pitching for new business with ideas
- Managing delivery of several medium to large size engagements on a day to day basis
- Ensuring quality of economic and financial analysis as well as written and verbal advice
- Being responsible for the quality of deliverables produced for clients
- Providing effective management, coaching and mentoring of junior staff on specific engagements
- Managing junior members of the team and as part of the wider business
- Developing the team, inspiring and empowering team members
- Ensuring compliance procedures are adhered to
- Recognising and addressing potential risks
- Any other duties commensurate with the role
- Have significant experience in the utilities sector, as a regulatory policy maker (gained at a regulatory office or industry) or as a consultant specialising in regulatory or corporate finance
- Educated to a degree level in a quantitative field such as Finance, Economics, Mathematics or similar will be preferred, although candidates with highly relevant, equivalent experience, will also be considered
- Have a detailed knowledge of the current UK regulatory regimes and regulatory finance mechanics for utilities, their application and impact on notional and actual capital structures and business performance
- Demonstrate strong working knowledge of economic and financial theory and its application, preferably with experience in applying corporate finance concepts in the regulated networks space
- Be highly skilled in quantitative economic and financial analysis. The ideal candidate will have experience leading projects with extensive financial modelling elements, and /or have detailed knowledge and experience of financial econometrics and statistics, ideally applied in the utilities sectors
- Have a sound knowledge of finances and financial structures of regulated utilities (we will consider candidates with deep expertise in financial analysis even if they do not have econometrics experience)
- Provide compelling and well-thought out solutions to complex economic and financial problems, being able to provide persuasive and self-assured responses in a credible manner
- Bring excellent report writing, quantitative analysis (Stata or equivalent), Excel and Powerpoint skills
- Be comfortable and experienced in an external facing role and in presenting to clients
- Be an independent thinker with the ability to identify problems and contribute to the development of solutions, helping us to remain at the cutting edge of innovative thinking in the sector
- Relish the opportunity for interaction and dialogue with companies, investors, regulators and other stakeholders, and with a host of functions across KPMG
- Have experience of managing medium size project teams, with a focus on mentoring and coaching junior staff (with or without a finance background)
- Be a proven team player who can demonstrate a clear desire to manage teams, who can gain the trust and support of internal colleagues
- Demonstrable credentials of leading the delivery activities on major consulting projects
- Be highly motivated and ambitious, willing to take advantages of the opportunities this position offers
- Understand the wider UK utilities sector, its structure, composition, stakeholders and relevant policy debates
- Language skills and experience in other markets outside the UK are a bonus
- At least 3 A levels or equivalent; Undergraduate or higher Graduate Degree in Economics, Finance, Mathematics or similar (candidates with other degrees will be considered depending on their experience)
- All UK staff who have not passed a Financial Services Authority (FSA) approved exam will be required to do so.
Our Associate Directors bring about value to our clients by delivering quantifiable results at speed. They are adept at working hands-on side by side with clients to build organisational performance, culture and capability. They bring about value to KPMG by being a role-model for our values and behaviours, inspiring and supporting our team members to develop & grow and supporting the pursuit of new business opportunities.
- An Associate Director in our newly formed Working Capital management team leading Working Capital optimisation project(s)
- Supporting Engagement Managers in the delivery of large complex programmes
- Manage the KPMG team on the completion of day-to-day activities, and coordinate interactions with client taskforce, to achieve specific time and quality targets as per contractual commitments and to planned margins
- Review of an organisations Working Capital processes, diagnostic of potential opportunities and their implementation to drive cash off the balance sheet
- Design quick-wins, process, systems and operating model changes and lead consultants and client taskforces to install, train, coach and support the organisation in achieving and sustaining the target operational and financial results
- Support the pursuit of new business opportunities through leading market research and marketing activities, and playing a key role in the preparation of proposals and sales pitches
- Play a key role in the planning and execution of strategic team internal initiatives
- Lead, mentor, and act as role model for junior team membersRole Responsibilities:
- Engage with client staff at all levels to ensure continuous buy-in for the engagement (incl. through steering groups)
- Manage communication with the on-site client (formal and informal), influence and shape clients’ view of the KPMG Finance in M&A - Working Capital practice throughout the engagement and maintain/improve our reputation in all client dealings
- Identify and highlight additional areas in which the KPMG Finance in M&A - Working Capital practice can add value to the client through on-selling and reference selling from existing clients within/across company and to external network
- Help clients, among other things, reduce balance sheet stress, generate cash and reduce costs or refinance to find the best source of capital to support their business objectives
- Select and use a diverse range of analytical techniques and implementation methodologies and tools to deliver assigned tasks and objectives on time/in full
- Take responsibility for supervision of projects in order to secure on-time quality of work and outputs delivered to client
- Ensure optimum resource utilisation - actively participate in resource planning and ensure optimal utilization of team
- Contribute to revenue growth – supporting the Partners and Directors in BD activities, pro-actively identify opportunities for additional work in existing clients, and support marketing activities
- Proactively monitor and help to resolve people issues, provide constructive input to colleagues, identify and act upon own and team training and development needs, provide support to career planning of team members
- Transfer skills and knowledge to client task force and team members in the KPMG Finance in M&A - Working Capital practice through coaching, mentoring, and training
- Comply with, and ensure compliance on, KPMG internal processes related to people management and service/project management
- Transfer skills / knowledge through informal al training.
- Manage the development of junior members in the practice through mentoring and coaching, acting as Performance Manager for Managers and Assistant Manager in the local geography
- Lead at least one internal initiative in the Finance in M&A - Working Capital team
- Feed intellectual capital created during projects back into the Partners and Directors
- Regularly participate in interviews and assessments
- Develop methodologies - implement/test changes related to the way we approach projects and delivery
Experience & Expertise
- Educated to at least Bachelor’s degree-level
- Fluency in English
- Demonstrated experience at Associate Director level or equivalent, gained through advisory or industry (or a mix of both) with a solid track record of leading Working Capital programmes helping organisations optimise their working capital management to drive business and enhance their financial position
- Expertise on AP, AR and inventory optimisation and comprehensive working capital analytics
- Extensive experience across Cash & Working Capital, management
- Intimate understanding of at least one of the following key sectors: Automotive, Aerospace, FMCG, Retail, Industrial Manufacturing, Private Equity & Hedge Funds, Chemicals, Industrial Manufacturing, Metals & Mining, Telecommunications and Utilities
- Strong track-record in Change Management and behavioural change
- Comfortable with a range of analytics platforms such as PowerBI, Tableau, Qlik Sense, Alteryx, etc. (desirable)
Skills & Competencies:
- Collaborate with colleagues across the internal KPMG value chain
- Engage and build rapport with people from a wide range of backgrounds at all junior - middle management levels
- Build teams and implement through people
- Train and develop client management, taskforce members and KPMG team members
- Communicate well orally and in writing
- Adapt leadership style to different audiences and situations
- Articulate complex messages in simple and structured form, link them to conclusions and communicate results
- Challenge and act in difficult situations to get positive result, identify potential blockers to progress and remove or avoid them before they become an issue and anticipate/prepare for pushback
- Understand political relationships in organisations and identify key decision makers and influencers
- Influence based on fact and generate enthusiasm
- Review progress against targets and change approach were needed
- Coach, constructively challenge, and thereby change the behaviour of team and task force members
- Identify key trends, patterns, connections and discrepancies within complex data, ideas, events, or behaviours
- Rapidly identify key issues from a wide range of complex data, tell a story and quantify opportunities
- Be involved in the financial management of clients
- Carry out complex tasks by breaking them down into manageable chunks and addressing them in a systematic way
- Accurately assess strengths and limitations of team members and identify appropriate action to improve
- Set, clearly communicate, and deliver / ensure delivery of challenging performance targets
- Generate solutions (people, systems, processes) to issues identified in client organisations
We have a requirement for a D grade to work in the North Regional Team within M&A, based out of Leeds. The role will allow the successful candidate to work on a broad range of domestic and international transactions for corporate, private equity and owner managed clients across a host of sub-sectors. The scope of the role will include both execution of transactions as well as helping with the origination of new opportunities across the Northern geographic area.
KPMG Corporate Finance & the opportunity
KPMG is the leading mid market M&A advisor in UK, Europe and Globally and is looking to recruit M&A Associates keen to contribute to the ongoing success of the business.
Taking responsibility for the delivery of discrete aspects of M&A transactions. This will include assuming responsibility for specific aspects of the transaction cycle and deal execution, reporting directly to senior team members and involve extensive client interaction and exposure to senior management, including at the CEO and CFO level.
Drafting transaction documentation including presentation materials and talk books for client proposals
Proactively assisting business development efforts including drafting pitch materials, providing market insights and performing comparable companies/transactions analyses
Undertaking complex financial analysis and modelling. Able to capture and accurately model a number of types of operational models and sector needs
Interaction with due diligence providers across the process including co-ordinating all stakeholders and other advisors including, for example, legal and tax
Strong academic background
Ability to identify critical & relevant data sources
Strong numerical, analytical and strategic thinking skills
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Fluency in Excel, PowerPoint & Word
Commitment to high quality standards & detail oriented
Personal drive to deliver results within tight deadlines
Personable team player with the ability to create confidence and trust with colleagues and clients alike
Experience & Background
ACA or equivalent qualification
M&A experience useful but not essential
About the MPA Team
Within the Deals Service-Line the Major Projects Advisory (MPA) team is directly involved with some of the UK’s biggest challenges in infrastructure and public services. We make an impact on things that really do affect the wellbeing and prosperity of everyone in the country. The work is varied, challenging, exciting and complex.
We typically work with clients in:
- Change and reform in the public sector
- The future of transport and mobility
- Decarbonisation and sustainability
- Central Government
- Transport (roads, rail and aviation)
- Energy and Utilities (electricity, nuclear, water)
- Defence mandates
- Health infrastructure investment
On the back of continuing growth and success in the market, we’re continuing to invest in the growth of our team– which means you’ll be joining one of the fastest growing areas of the firm at a time of real significance, with the resulting career development opportunities for you.
About the role
As an Associate Director, you will play a pivotal role in leading both the delivery of work on the ground and the development of new business opportunities for the Firm, maintaining vision, insights and perspectives on how our markets are changing and how our capabilities align to best serve our clients. You will own many critical relationships and operate as a trusted advisor to senior clients, helping to overcome their most challenging problems and shaping effective solutions.
Specifically, your day-to-day involves:
- Leading complex and multifaceted consulting engagements, driving dispersed teams across the full engagement sales and delivery lifecycle
- Being an inspirational leader; managing, coaching, motivating and being a role model for our people, living our values
- Collaborating with the MPA Leadership Team to make recommendations, help implement the exciting growth strategy and realise the positive trajectory of MPA; Being a respected subject-matter expert, with a developing market brand and reputation, confidence to externally and internally speak at events to showcase what MPA offers
- Being accountable and run the financial aspects of an engagement - ensuring we keep clients informed of costs and time incurred, in addition to raising invoices and recovering fees ona timely basis
- Coaching and mentoring your colleagues – both up and down
Skills and Experience
For this opportunity, we’re looking for candidates with a strong consulting experience background of at least 10 years’ experience - primarily built around infrastructure-related projects and programmes.
Your track record should evidence:
- A proven history of operating as an effective leader of multi-disciplinary teams - either for another consultancy(s) or in a client-side role in industry, Government or the wider public sector
- Specialist project, programme and/or portfolio management expertise, with proven delivery and a passion for the future of the profession
- Track record of delivering large and complex capital programmes and projects
- Domain experience in Central Government, Construction, Transport, Energy or Utilities
- Strong networks and successful business development, with demonstrable engagement management experience
- Deep experience of managing and influencing senior-level stakeholders, having built and sustained key relationships
- Ownership and management of client accounts – alongside contributions to significant bids and proposals; Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to be evidenced
- Relevant professional certifications (at least 1) – e.g. APM PMQ/PPQ/ChPP; MoP; MSP; PRINCE2; Chartered e.g. Accountancy/Industry related (RICS/CIOB/ICE, etc)
- Delivering targeted business process improvements in relation to capital investment portfolios and major projects / programmes
- Delivering strategic advisory services such as organisational design and capital optimisation
- Performance and efficiency improvement in large/complex organisations
- Enhancing project and programme controls
- Programme and commercial assurance
- Experience reviewing and advising troubled projects and programmes – with a view to turning them around
- Relevant experience using different software / applications (e.g. Teams, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, Oracle P6, Slack, Clarizen)
KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
Service Line Information
KPMG's Energy Lead Advisory practice has an industry reputation for delivering forward thinking and objective advice for our top tier energy clients and global footprint and negotiation prowess, as well as an envied track record in closing successful deals. Together, our firm's Corporate Financiers have advised on or arranged critical and sensitive equity and debt transactions for some of the world's largest corporations, financial institutions and strategic participants.
KPMG is the leading Energy M&A advisor in the UK, Europe and globally. Revenue growth means we are in the market for recruiting Top Talent, who are keen to contribute to the ongoing success of the business.
The business has significant growth ambitions, through continued deep sector expertise and delivering the highest quality deal execution.
The KPMG Energy Lead Advisory business, spanning the spectrum of M&A, strategic, regulatory and deal advisory service lines; having built:
- Senior and trusted client relationships across top-tier global companies, new strategic entrants, financial investors and leading developers.
- An enviable set of market credentials across each of KPMG’s major service lines.
- A diverse skill set and deep sector expertise spanning across all sectors.
We are recruiting experienced M&A Advisors with an Energy background. The role will allow the successful candidate to work on a broad range of domestic and international transactions for corporate, financial institutions, private equity and owner managed clients. The scope of the role will include both execution of transactions as well as helping with the origination of new opportunities.
You can help clients through acquisitions, divestitures, mergers, buy-outs, major projects, capital raises, debt structuring and issuance, and complex re-financings, distressed M&A and with business valuations.
Roles and Responsibility:
Alongside existing successful members of the team and KPMG’s wider sectors, the successful candidate will be involved in supporting the team to:
- Actively managing client relationships, taking responsibility for the day to day project management and delivery of M&A transactions, this will include assuming responsibility for managing all phases of the transaction cycle and deal execution, reporting directly to senior team members.
- Developing market intelligence and sector knowledge.
- Leading and managing the delivery of marketing documentation as well as, pitch materials and client proposals.
- Specifying, producing and evaluating financial models.
- Supervising and managing junior colleagues, analysts and support staff on M&A transactions.
- Coaching and contributing to the development of junior team members.
- Proactively assisting business development efforts including pitching for new work.
- Building & maintaining client relationships with both corporate and financial institutions.
Attributes, Qualifications & Skills
- Strong academic background
- Ability to identify critical & relevant data sources
- Commitment to high quality standards & a detail oriented approach
- Personal drive and integrity to deliver results within tight deadlines
- Personable team player with the ability to create confidence and trust with colleagues and clients alike
- Prior experience of working within sectors
- Be an independent thinker with the ability to identify problems and contribute to the development of solutions, helping us to remain at the cutting edge of thinking in the sector
- Appreciates the chance to work on a wide range of projects and proposals simultaneously to demanding timetables.
Experience & Background
- Must have relevant corporate finance experience in an investment bank, big 4, private equity team, M&A Boutique or corporate business development role.
- Have a good knowledge of financing structures, particularly, debt project finance, equity infrastructure finance including high leverage and other types of project based financing.
- Have a knowledge and experience of advising and executing projects to a financial close for private sector clients (including M&A and refinancing).
- Have good business case writing, Excel and Power-point skills.
- Be skilled in financial modelling, financial analysis, in addition to having an understanding of financial accounting.
- Strong ability to interpret and present outputs from financial models to support the provision of commercial advice.
- Relish the opportunity for interaction and dialogue with companies, investors, regulators and other stakeholders, and with a host of functions across KPMG.
- Be an independent thinker with the ability to identify problems and contribute to the development of solutions, helping us to remain at the cutting edge of thinking in the sector.
- Appreciate the chance to work on a wide range of projects and proposals simultaneously to demanding timetables.