I'm looking for
Search results for ""
Indirect Tax Assistant Manager (Trade & Customs)
Service Line: Indirect Tax
Manager, Technical Accounting Advisory Financial Services - Birmingham
Service Line: Audit
Work Experience Discovery - Insight Week Birmingham TBC 2020
Service Line: Discovery - Insight Week
KPMG has one of the leading Indirect Tax practices in the UK.
We work as a national practice providing advice and support in all aspects of Indirect Tax (VAT, Customs Duty, Green taxes) to a broad range of business sectors including large multi-nationals, household name retailers and public sector organisations.
The Indirect Tax practice is a fast-growing and dynamic business, currently with 13 partners and approximately 240 professional staff in the UK.
The role in question is with the Trade & Customs team.
Trade & Customs
KPMG has a large team of Trade & Customs specialists located across the UK, working to support our national portfolio of clientswith a variety of Trade & Customs issues.. Within the team we have deep specialists in areas such as valuation, classification, origin andcustoms special procdures. We work closely with our colleagues both in Indirect Tax, other areas of Tax such as Transfer Pricing, and the wider Advisory business to deliver value to KPMG’s clients; we offer a wide range of services including customsadvisory, Brexit planning, compliance reviews and preparation of duty reclaims.
Roles and Responsibilities
You will be a key member of our team:
- Providing high quality Indirect Tax advisory services on a broad range of indirect tax issues to a wide range of clients;
- Maintaining, developing and ultimately managing KPMG’s strong relationships with clients;
- Developing innovative solutions and opportunities for our clients;
- Assisting in the implementation of business development initiatives;
- Developing more junior members of the team from both a technical and commercial perspective;
- Working closely with senior managers, directors and partners who will provide you with the support and opportunities to assist you in realising your full potential.Experience and Skills
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who would like to be part of a successful and growing team. You should be someone who:
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for their work;
- Is driven and committed;
- Is ambitious and motivated to grow personally;
- Shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude;
- Seeks out feedback and development opportunities; Identifies and pursues business opportunities;
- Gives clear direction and is able to provide positive, constructive feedback;
- Is willing to coach less experienced staff;
- Works in a cooperative, respectful manner with colleagues and clients;
- Analyses problems, identifies core issues, investigates, evaluates and integrates information;
- Communicates with impact, in a way that is open, honest, consistent and clear; and
- Monitors and upholds high quality of service and products to clients
Work as a key member of our growing Financial Services Accounting Advisory Services (FSAS) team based in Birmingham. The team provides specialist accounting advice to clients across a range of areas. Engagements focus on the application of technical accounting – in particular providing financial instrument accounting advice (including hedge accounting), accounting policy conversions and GAAP analysis, implementation support for new standards, group restructurings, and training – often working as part of cross-functional teams including FSAS London, FSAS Regulatory, Accounting Advisory Services, Financial Risk Management, Audit, Tax and Forensics.
We are seeking additional qualified accountants to work at Manager level to continue to extend the depth and breadth of financial services accounting based services in our Birmingham office, in the areas listed above and beyond.
- Managing the delivery of live accounting advisory client engagements and leading technical accounting work streams of larger multi-disciplinary engagements
- Providing subject matter expertise on technical accounting as well as practical implications relating to new accounting standards (e.g. IFRS 9, IFRS 15, IFRS 16)
- Reviewing technical accounting and risk interpretations related to new accounting standards prepared by clients (e.g. IFRS 9, IFRS 15, IFRS 16), provide challenge and recommendations
- Respond to clients’ and audit teams’ ad-hoc accounting queries related to financial instruments
- Development and delivery of accounting training to clients and internal KPMG teams
- Managing and mentoring engagement team members
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with both clients and KPMG individuals
- Contributing to practice and risk management, including thought leadership and business development activities
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Qualified accountant (ACA or international equivalent qualification)
- Must be able demonstrate strong technical accounting experience with IFRS, especially related to financial instruments (IAS 32, IAS 39 (including hedge accounting), IFRS 7 and IFRS 9)
- Must have previous financial sector experience – for example, working with building societies, other mutuals, intermediaries or banks
- Must be able to demonstrate strong experience with recent developments in accounting, in particular IFRSs 9, 15 and 16
- Must have experience of developing and presenting accounting training courses
- Must have experience of managing teams and project management
- Programme Length:
- 2 days (virtual)
- Entry Requirements:
- Minimum 5 GCSEs at A* - C or 4 - 9 (inc. English Language and Maths) or for Scotland qualifications a minimum 5 Standard Grades 1 – 3 (inc. English and Maths), or equivalent Intermediate/National 5 qualification.
- Minimum predicted grades equivalent to 104 UCAS points at the end of Year 13/S6 e.g. BCC at A Level or equivalent. We only consider a candidate’s top 3 A Level grades and do not accept General Studies.
You will also need to meet the Access Accountancy criteria in order to make an application to the KPMG Discovery programme. This initiative supports young people from low income families to have access to the accountancy profession. You will need to:
- Attend state school or college, and
- Be eligible (or have been eligible) for free school meals (or attend a school with ‘above regional average’ free school meals*), or
- Your immediate family did not attend university.
*Free School Meals are a statutory benefit available to school-aged children from families who receive other qualifying benefits and who have been through the relevant registration process. It does not include those who receive meals at school through other means e.g. boarding school.
- Key Skills:
- Throughout the programme we will be looking for you to demonstrate and reflect on the strengths that we look for at KPMG.
- To get the most out of Discovery you'll need to be curious, ask questions, and be enthusiastic to learn and develop for yourself and your work.
- We are looking for someone who can spot new opportunities and has the initiative and resilience to make the most of them.