I'm looking for
Search results for ""
External Audit Manager
Service Line: Audit
Tax Assistant Manager - Private Client Academy - Birmingham
Service Line: Private Client
Audit Assistant Manager - National Markets Nottingham
Service Line: Audit
Manager - Legal Services, Employment - London
Service Line: Legal Services
Pensions Actuarial Manager
Service Line: Pensions
As one of the UK firm's largest regional teams, KPMG's Reading office employs more than 400 professionals who work with companies across the Thames Valley. Our office is located conveniently just off junction 12 of the M4 and offers parking for staff. It is also a short walk from Theale train station.
Our Reading office is moving into a new building (Forbury Place) in the centre of Reading later this year.
KPMG Reading has a strong reputation for supporting Thames Valley’s thriving information technology and communications businesses. We also have a large pensions’ advisory capability and one of the largest expatriate advisory practices outside London.
By combining deep sector knowledge with innovative technology, we bring fresh thinking and practical approaches. Our specialist teams in audit, tax and advisory work together to help our clients achieve their goals, including growth strategy, people strategy, cyber security, digital transformation and technology solutions.
The audit practice is made up of approximately 200 staff, led by 4 Partners and working in conjunction with other services, including Corporate Finance, Transaction Services, Pensions, Restructuring, Corporate and Indirect taxation. The team in Reading provide audit services across a range of sectors and has a diverse client base ranging from smaller owner managed businesses and private equity backed organisations through to FTSE and AIM listed businesses. The office services clients covering a wide geographical area from Oxford in the North, London in the East, Swindon in the West and Basingstoke in the South.
Many clients have locations around the UK and overseas, so there are opportunities for people to travel and potentially work overseas. Key audit clients include a well-established Veterinary practice, an American multinational food, snack and beverage corporation, a computer solutions business, and a Japanese multinational electronics corporation. Notably, the team have also been successful in winning a number of FTSE listed businesses in recent years, including a payment processing company and a leading spirits manufacturer.
Manage and deliver audit engagements from planning through to completion. The role will require proficiency in IFRS and UK GAAP. You will have your own portfolio of clients with responsibility for agreeing audit timetables, briefing the audit team, including other specialists, monitoring budgets and supervising the KPMG audit process. This will include:
· To manage engagements, overseeing in-charge and audit assistants work ensuring compliance with client, statutory and KPMG requirements, appreciating relevant internal and external market factors, ensuring the effective and timely delivery of engagements
· Oversee and direct the budgeting, planning, co-ordination and control of engagements in accordance with client, statutory, KPMG and business requirements to ensure effective service delivery and maximised recoverability
· Direct, coach and mentor between 4 and 8 audit staff in a performance manager role taking responsibility for overseeing their portfolio, business and personal issues and delivering feedback throughout the year
· Nurture and seek worthwhile relationships with clients, business departments and staff, for the sharing of information and to identify and progress current and future Audit requirements
· Contributes towards the creation, implementation and delivery of the Audit Business Plan and offer support in relation to issues identified as a result of organisational or client focus change
· Assist the Director and Senior Manager (where applicable) in monitoring the effectiveness of Audit services delivered, providing feedback and reflection on the quality of service accordingly
· Preparation of reports to senior management and Audit Committees
There will be opportunity and encouragement for additional responsibilities outside this day to day role, such as working on tenders for potential new clients and assisting with training courses for in-charges and audit assistants.
· Leadership skills and ability to act as a role model
· Drive and resilience and ability to thrive in a pressured environment whilst working as a team with support from Directors, Senior Managers (where applicable) and in-charges
· Knowledge and experience of auditing and experience of systems/controls testing as well as substantive auditing - you will be able to deepen your understanding of consolidations, group audit and review of statutory accounts and disclosures
· Well-developed supervisory skills e.g. coaching and motivation
· Project management techniques; this role will test and develop your expertise in decision-making, analytical skills, time management, organisation and evaluative skills
· Strong communication and inter-personal skills, both verbal and written
· Proven research skills e.g. information seeking and knowledge sharing, understanding and interpreting information/applying knowledge
· Well-developed understanding of the wider commercial background KPMG operates in demonstrating awareness of the issues facing our clients on a day to day basis
Qualifications and Skills
· Time and exam Qualified Accountant - ACA, ACCA or country equivalent
· Sound working knowledge of IFRS and UK GAAP
· IT literacy with sound knowledge and experience of Excel/Word
· Recent and significant experience as a Manager in an audit capacity within a top 10 accountancy firm
· Current experience of accounting and financial reporting standards including IFRS and UK standards
· Significant audit experience for large, mixed sector corporate clients
We are currently recruiting Tax Assistant Managers to join our successful National Private Client teams within in our Bristol, Birmingham, London, Leeds, Manchester and Reading offices.
As a national practice our Private Client department consists of 162 team members across the UK, led by 5 Partners and 17 Directors. We work with a variety of high net worth individuals – from stakeholders in privately owned and entrepreneurial businesses, executives of multi-national firms, landed estates and senior members of private equity firms; who may be tax resident and/or domiciled in a range of jurisdictions. We also specialise in providing advice to Trusts and Estates, and Partnerships.
If you are a highly motivated qualified tax adviser/ accountant (ATT, CTA or ACA/ACCA) with experience of working in personal tax, then we’d love to hear from you. We recognise that there are also highly motivated individuals who are qualified though experience and may not yet be exam qualified and we are open to considering such individuals also.
As a successful candidate, you will join “The Academy” which is our new 4-week intensive program designed to offer an immersive and wide-ranging tax technical and practical learning experience for high achieving individuals who are interested in working in a highly advisory focused Private Client role. You will train alongside other successful recruits from across the country as well as our existing national Assistant Manager population which will provide you with the opportunity to start building your internal network at KPMG, whilst equipping you with the skills necessary to succeed within our Private Client team.
Following completion of the Academy training, you will be ready to join your chosen Private Client office/team as an Assistant Manager and put the skills you have learnt into practice as you begin to manage your own portfolio of clients, supported by existing team members.
The role entails working with high net worth individuals, entrepreneurial businesses and shareholder owned companies providing a mixture of advisory and compliance services on a wide range of personal tax matters.
More specifically, some of the responsibilities will include:-
- Ensuring the delivery of a high quality personal tax service to our clients;
- Managing a diverse portfolio of more complex clients and being able to provide personal tax advice on a wide range of assignments including inheritance tax, capital gains tax, and international tax matters; and identifying opportunities to advise your portfolio of clients in relation to these taxes;
- Providing original and creative thinking to solve tax problems, frequently leading to providing wholly bespoke tax advice and solutions on one-off assignments;
- Project managing tax advisory assignments to ensure deadlines, risk management and compliance procedures are all met;
- Managing work in progress and ensuring prompt billing and cash collection.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Qualified accountant or tax advisor with experience working in a personal tax focussed environment with exposure to a varied client base.
- Academically strong results in career to date coupled with a keen and insightful understanding of the issues facing private clients.
- An ability to work as part of a team as well as on their own initiative.
- A commitment to clients, colleagues and KPMG.
- High level of analytical skills and a commercial approach to resolving issues and providing advice.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required in addition to strong oral and written communication skills.
In particular, the role will suit either a high performing Assistant Manager keen to work with an exciting client base and keen to progress, or a recently qualified individual looking to gain exposure to a dynamic and entrepreneurial team.
We recognise that as individuals, we each have particular needs and that one size doesn’t fit all, when it comes to how, when and where you work. That’s why we’re proud to offer our colleagues flexible working options. We believe in putting you at the centre of your career – KPMG will offer the training, development and stimulating work environment to help you get to where your career ambitions are. That’s why we introduced ‘Our Deal’ – it’s our way of saying ‘thank you’ for bringing your best to work. As part of ‘Our Deal’, you’ll benefit from a range of rewards from secondment opportunities and preferential banking services to a day off on your birthday and have open, honest conversations about your career development.
Roles and Responsibilities
Planning and project managing all aspects of external audits including:
Staffing Risk assessment Systems, controls and substantive testing (including audits of consolidations and statutory accounts)
Ensuring projects comply with KPMG and International Auditing Standards
Budgeting and monitoring the financial performance of projects, focusing on optimising profitability
Leading teams on the ground, reporting directly to the manager and partner
Building relationships with the client staff and acting as an ambassador for the firm
Report writing for Audit Committees and management
Identification of ways to differentiate KPMG - how can we bring new and innovative ideas to our clients
Qualifications and Skills
ACA, ACCA qualified or recognised equivalent
previous external audit experience gained in at least a Top 10 or mid-tier accountancy firm
Strong IT literacy, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Must be able to demonstrate a good and detailed working knowledge of UK GAAP and IFRS
Experience and Background
We think our people really stand out from the crowd. We are looking for equally exceptional people with the following skills and characteristics to join us:
Ability to think big picture, out of the box
Strong technical skills
Accountability and decision making ability
Attention to detail, organised with a commitment to quality
Willingness to take on additional responsibility and opportunities and a commitment to personal development
Leadership skills and ability to act as a role model
Drive and resilience and ability to thrive in a pressured environment
Relationship building skills
Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
The Legal Services team sits within KPMG Tax, Pensions and Legal and provides an integrated offering seamlessly combining market-leading tax and legal expertise with the latest technology. The Legal Services team has core Corporate, Commercial, FS Regulatory, Employment and Immigration law teams, and a market leading Tax litigation team.
We also have growing alternative legal services teams including Global Entity Management and Legal Operations and Transformation Services. Over the next few years, these teams will grow and Legal Services will expand into other areas of law that fit within its vision and the needs of KPMG’s clients. KPMG is regulated by the SRA as a multidisciplinary practice.
KPMG has a global legal services network bringing together 2,300 lawyers across 76 countries to offer local, regional and cross-border advice.
The UK Employment Legal Services Team comprises 8 lawyers who regularly work with a wide cross-section of the KPMG client-facing business. Key areas of focus include pay compliance topics such as gender pay and equal pay, national minimum wage and holiday pay as well as employment status, people aspects of business transformations and reorganisations and global employment law projects.
What KPMG Legal Services is looking for from its lawyers:
• Team players who enjoy working with people from different backgrounds and disciplines
• Approachable people who are keen to develop personally and professionally, and to assist with the development of junior team members
• Lawyers with a passion for the law
• Intellectually curious, open-minded and analytical people, with an eye for detail and pride in their work
• Driven, positive and proactive professionals who deliver a great service to their clients
• Relationship builders and innovators who can spot and develop new opportunities both within the KPMG network and externally
• Flexible people who are able to deal with a fluid, changing work environment
Why you might want to join KPMG Legal Services:
• You can see the advantages of professional advice being provided within a multidisciplinary team
• You are ambitious and perceive the wealth of opportunities presented by leading global professional services firm
• You want the opportunity to develop client relationships and KPMG’s legal services capabilities
• You want to broaden your experience and become a more rounded professional
• You are interested in exploring how technology can enhance how we work and add value to our client services
• You want to achieve a sustainable work-life balance
Role and Responsibilities:
• Work on a variety of compliance led pay projects relating to gender pay and equal pay, national minimum wage and holiday pay, working alongside data analytics and payroll advisory colleagues
• Provide leadership and technical input into a range of employee relations projects including national minimum wage, employment status and off payroll working, TUPE, legal entity rationalisations, redundancies and outsourcing
• Provide TUPE advice including initial and subsequent outsourcing, in-sourcing and off-shoring
• International employment projects – working with Global Mobility Services tax and social security and other teams on a range of global matters from drafting assignment letters to co-ordinating the people aspects of global due diligence or restructuring projects
• UK start-ups for multinationals – dealing with the wealth of immigration and employment law matters that need to be addressed by foreign businesses setting up in the UK
• Input into salary sacrifice and flexible benefits projects – supporting these projects by providing legal advice on changes to employment terms and conditions
• Advice regarding Senior Executives – advising employers on contracts of employment and service agreements for senior executives, and on termination
The applicant will be experienced in working on complex and high value employment law matters and will be the key employment law contact for a number of large clients. They will be used to supervising more junior team members and will have demonstrated excellent business development skills through cross-selling and through winning work using their own initiative. They will be confident in presenting to clients and in training colleagues and in leading pitches and proposals. The applicant should have a good understanding of how to ensure that work is carried out profitably and with due consideration of risk.
Experience of advising alongside other professionals (such as tax or immigration advisers) and of running the employment work-stream on cross-border transactions would be valuable. Ideally the successful applicant will have advised on the employment law aspects of:
• Gender pay gap projects and equal pay audits
• National minimum wage projects
• Holiday pay compliance
• TUPE/Outsourcing/Reorgs and redundancies
• Salary sacrifice implementation
• Employment status reviews
• Intra group transfers of employees including international assignments
• Procurement of temporary staff using employment businesses and agencies
Experience of project management and co-ordination of multi-jurisdictional projects is also invaluable. This is a growing team and the role will suit an aspiring, technically excellent, employment lawyer with the desire and ability to work closely with the Director and Senior Managers in helping to lead that growth. There will be an expectation that the successful applicant will help promote the Employment and Immigration team and the wider Legal Services group by organising and participating in team and firm events, giving internal and external presentations, and producing articles for publication.
Education and Qualifications:
It is expected that the successful applicant will have between 5 and 8 years’ PQE with the majority of their career spent at a reputable City practice in a well-regarded Employment team, and probably now at the level of Associate (but applicants with other suitable experience will also be considered). KPMG is looking for a confident client-facing employment lawyer with strong technical, supervision and relationship-building skills.
KPMG Pensions is a leading edge strategic pensions’ advisory, actuarial, administration and investment practice. We deliver advice to employers and trustees and their senior people on all aspects of their pension arrangements
The Manchester pensions team is growing significantly due to substantial new business wins. We are recruiting at all levels within our trustee services team to help deliver actuarial and administration advice to a large portfolio of clients in new and innovative ways. This is the opportunity to be part of this exciting and growing business.
We are seeking to expand our Actuarial team and wish to recruit an experienced and professional Pensions Actuarial Manager to be based in our Manchester office and act as Scheme Actuary.
This role will be suitable for senior experienced pensions consultants who are FIA/FFA qualified with a scheme actuary certificate (or the ability to obtain one), and who have experience of leading client relationships and advising Trustee boards. In addition to proven technical and client consulting experience, individuals are to have strong communication skills and be able to demonstrate that they can develop the people they work with in order to deliver quality work to clients.
Some of the responsibilities include:
- Building and managing relationships with trustee boards
- Delivering professional pensions consulting advice on all aspects affecting trustees
- Acting as Scheme Actuary to a number of smaller DB Pension schemes
- Providing pension accounting disclosures where required by pension scheme’s sponsoring Employers
Qualifications and Skills
- Professional qualifications either FIA or FFA.
- Scheme Actuary certificate held for two years (or the equivalent experience obtained)
- Excellent client management relationship skills.
- Proactive and commercial approach.
- The ability to act as a Scheme Actuary to defined benefit pension schemes
- An ability to understand how a trustee board can meet their statutory and fiduciary objectives in the context of the scheme sponsor and the regulatory environment.
- Experience of providing pension accounting disclosures for company accounts
- A proven track record in consulting with clients in a mainstream employee benefits firm
- The ability to work within a multi-disciplinary professional services firm
- Ability to lead and coach less experienced staff and work closely with colleagues in multi-disciplinary client service teams.