I'm looking for
Search results for "Office of General Counsel (OGC)"
Senior Legal Advisor – International Office of General Counsel
Service Line: IHQ
Legal Counsel (Manager)
Service Line: QRM and OGC
Head of Health & Safety
Service Line: Facilities
Head of Dynamics 365 Sales - EMEA Region
Service Line: Exceptional Items
Deputy Head of Media Relations
Service Line: Corporate Affairs
Head of Service Integration and Management
Service Line: ITS
This role will play an important part of the technology and intellectual property practice in IOGC, which plays a pivotal role in providing legal support for – and advising on legal risks, protections and opportunities related to – KPMG’s IP, technology and data strategy, value chain and revenue-growing initiatives.
The role will provide opportunities to advise KPMGI leaders and their teams on three key areas of the practice:
- product and innovation strategies for KPMG technology solutions;
- procurement and supplier transactions with technology and services providers; and
- strategic global initiatives with respect to technology, intellectual property and data.
The role will focus on mitigating against legal risks while supporting the organization’s growth through use of technology. We expect the role will make an impact on the organization’s goals of embedding technology in everything KPMG does, developing technology solutions that suit member firm clients’ needs, and leveraging data.
This role will report into the head of the IOGC’s technology and intellectual property practice. We expect that the successful candidate will primarily perform the following work with respect to products and innovation:
1. Legal and Regulatory Advice: Provide advice on legal and regulatory risks and requirements arising from the design, development and licensing of KPMGI technology solutions and the processing of data by such solutions. For each KPMGI-developed or KPMGI-owned technology solution, this work will require understanding the technical aspects of, and business plan for, such solutions. This work will also include advising on issues related to cross-border intellectual property and data rights, the use of open source software, whether there is freedom to operate, the benefits of copyright versus patent versus trade secret protection, and market trends related to the foregoing. This work will involve substantial influencing of, and collaborating regularly with, KPMGI professionals in audit, tax, advisory, risk management, information protection, technology development, cloud infrastructure, and procurement.
2. IP Protection & Monetization Program: Work with KPMGI business teams and technology developers to create an intellectual property protection program that: (i) identifies patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights, know-how and other proprietary assets developed by them, (ii) determines the best legal methods to protect such IP assets, and (iii) implements processes for such protection. This work will also require supporting Global audit, tax and advisory functions in their establishment of an “invention committee” and collaborating with KPMGI professionals participating in such committee to determine how each IP asset will be protected and, more generally, creating standards for prioritizing disclosures and patent filing decisions. Over time, we expect that this work will expand to working with global business teams to identify companies that may be infringing on KPMGI IP and to enforce KPMGI’s rights in its IP, as well as understanding the potential for member firms to license and monetize such IP rights (separate and apart from their use in KPMG technology solutions).
3. Procurement: Provide legal support for the procurement of technology included in, commingled with, or which forms the basis of, KPMG technology solutions. This work will include advising on, drafting and negotiating various strategic intellectual property and technology agreements, with a focus on complex licenses and services agreements (including software license agreements, data rights agreements, cloud services agreements (i.e., SaaS, PaaS, IaaS), software/technology development agreements, and software/technology acquisitions).
4. Global Initiatives: Support strategic global initiatives with respect to technology, intellectual property and data. We expect this work may include providing legal support and advice on global priority solutions and data aggregation initiatives related to KPMG technology solutions.
5. Training and Education: Train and educate KPMGI professionals on legal risks related to technology design and development and use of data in technology solutions.
A candidate should have the following technical skills:
Advanced technical legal skills in the areas of intellectual property and technology law, with a strong focus on providing legal and regulatory advice on developing, licensing, and protecting technology, IP and data.Strong negotiation and drafting skills across a wide variety of technology, intellectual property and data license agreements and transaction structures across various jurisdictions, as well as bespoke and complex legal, business and technical issues.Advanced communication skills to enable the translation of complex legal and regulatory issues, within the context of complex technical and business issues, into easily understandable advice.
Experience & Knowledge
A candidate must be qualified and licensed to practice law and have a degree from an accredited college or university. A candidate should have the following experience and knowledge:
- Minimum 6 years PQE of experience in the areas of intellectual property, technology and data law, with substantial experience advising on laws and regulations affecting the design, development and licensing of technology solutions and the processing of data by such solutions;
- Significant experience advising on protecting and enforcing intellectual property, technology and data rights, US and EU data privacy issues, artificial intelligence platforms, data and analytics platforms, and mobile applications;
- Significant experience negotiating a variety of technology agreements and transaction structures;
- Must possess an excellent working knowledge of cloud-based information technology businesses, services and products;
- Ability to advise on, and drive forward the implementation of, solutions to issues and matters with an international/cross-border dimension;
- Understands how to balance the needs, demands and requirements of a global business with legal risks and protections;
- Must be self-motivated and able to thrive in a fast-paced, high-volume legal department with many different stakeholders worldwide;
- Understands how to foster a collaborative and inclusive environment amongst other KPMG professionals;
- Cultural sensitivity required to engage with people at all levels and with diverse backgrounds;
- Deep knowledge and awareness of global business, legal and technology trends which may impact the KPMG brand; and
- Experience in instructing and managing external counsel on matters, as appropriate (other than the most significant matters, on which the individual in this role will work alongside a Partner t or Director level lawyer within IOGC).
Some domestic and international travel will be required (once countries open up their borders and it is safer to do so).
The Practice Protection team (“PP”) comprises a team of experienced partners and lawyers based in Canary Wharf who specialise in advising on and managing the handling of practice protection issues.
Practice Protection is the process by which the firm takes effective action in the event of claims, or circumstances relating to its professional work, regulatory or law enforcement interest, and professional conduct matters. In addition, PP advises partners and staff of the UK firm on a wide range of other professional or client matters where there may be cause for concern, or where a legal consideration or process is involved.
PP also monitors and provides guidance in relation to claims and circumstances affecting other KPMG member firms outside of North America and liaises with professional indemnity insurers for this purpose.
Role and Responsibilities
This is an attractive opportunity for a lawyer to join PP. The lawyer will be within a team advising PP partners, other partners and staff of the UK firm and KPMG member firms overseas on a wide range of contentious matters relating to professional services and conduct. Particular tasks involve assisting and advising in the management of litigation and threats of litigation against the UK firm.
The candidate will need to be able to work flexibly within a small team handling a large and varied work load, taking a significant degree of responsibility, and being able to understand the business drivers affecting the firm.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Assisting in advising on and managing potential and actual claims against the UK firm, domestic and international regulatory and law enforcement interest and professional conduct matters.
- Assisting in advising on a broad range of associated, general legal issues and risk management matters.
- Providing legal and other support to more senior members of PP and to General Counsel
- Liaising with external legal advisers and counsel.Qualifications and Skills
- Qualified solicitor with a minimum of 2-3 years post-qualification experience from either an existing in-house position or from private practice.
- A background in regulatory investigations, and professional negligence would be beneficial but is not essential
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate and influence with confidence and clarity at all levels
- Strong organisational skills with an ability to produce work to tight deadlines with attention to detail.
- Mature, self-sufficient and proactive, with the ability to work independently as well as being a team player.
- Commercially and risk aware
The Head of Health & Safety reports to and deputises for the Director Security & Safety in relation to all relevant UK firm matters. The post holder is responsible for and is to demonstrate leadership on all matters concerning the provision of health and safety advice, development of policies and procedures and the monitoring and review of health and safety, traveller safety & security management systems employed by the firm.
You will act as an Incident Response crisis Co-ordinator with responsibility for assessing and managing urgent life safety actions in response to a security or safety incident, where necessary leading on the response and briefing the firm’s leadership on actions taken and proposed.
- Ensure that the firm’s health & safety management system is appropriate for the needs of 18,000 KPMG partners and staff, hundreds of contractors and thousands of annual visitors at our premises. Responsibilities extend to the firm’s people and contracted staff working on client sites and whilst travelling overseas on the firm’s business and to all our office premises and the physical assets they contain.
- Ensure that all direct report members of the Team have clear job descriptions such that there is absolute clarity as to what is expected of them.
- Ensure that the competencies and skills for each post holder are clear and that the incumbents have the requisite skills, (or are being trained and coached to develop such skills).
- Develop a succession plan for all people management positions within the Team.
- Manage, train, develop and recruit personnel, including planning, organisation, the setting of objectives, coaching/mentoring, monitoring departmental workloads, productivity and carrying out of staff appraisals.
- Manage the firm’s ISO 45001 certification programme throughout the UK to ensure a consistent level of compliance exists and pro-active monitoring can be recorded and reported to the business.
- Manage the firm’s compliance with PAS3001 ‘Travelling for work – Responsibilities of an organization for Health, Safety & Security – Code of Practice’
- Review/up-date the Firm’s Health & Safety and Traveller Safety & Security policies and operational procedures - in accordance with legislation/best practice ensuring that management and senior partners are kept informed of any changes necessary to meet statutory requirements and in anticipation of future health & safety, regulatory and compliance developments.
- Ensure that detailed, physical security and health & safety threat & risk assessments of all KPMG UK offices are conducted on a regular basis.
- Market Health, Safety and Security, by providing a first-class service both internally/externally, identifying and developing opportunities to provide effective services and best value for money to the UK business/support units.
- Improve the internal customer’s understanding of Health, Safety & Security policies and implications working with the Director Security & Safety to enable regular discussions with relevant Business unit senior partners and heads of functions to review objectives and set priorities accordingly.
- Identify future business requirements and health, safety and security development opportunities involving technical and personnel aspects of the health & safety services across the UK and make recommendations to the Director Security & Safety
- Overseeing development and implementation of the firm’s health, safety security and wellbeing related policies and procedures;
- Identifying and proposing mitigating strategies to health, safety and wellbeing. Escalate significant risks to the Health, Safety Security and Wellbeing Governance Group;
- Ownership and development of protocols for the handling of health, safety and traveller related incidents. Where non-conformities have been identified ensuring that appropriate actions are taken in a timely manner;
- Overseeing development and monitoring of the implementation of the health, safety and traveller management strategies and programmes. Provide continual assessment of the effectiveness of such programmes against ever changing business strategies, technology strategies and external factors (such as changes in the legal and regulatory environment);
- Overseeing successful implementation and attainment of related certifications (including ISO 45001 and PAS3001);
- Monitoring assignment of relevant health, safety and traveller management roles and responsibilities, ensuring sufficient resources are allocated to implement and support robust governance in the UK firm;
- Defining and overseeing health, safety and traveller training programmes direction and implementation.
- Ensuring that an annual report is presented for agreement to the Health, Safety, Security and Wellbeing Governance Group.
- As directed prepare the Safety and Security CoE input to UK contract specifications, including revisions, tender documentation, supplier selection and assessment - demonstrating a thorough understanding of contract terms and conditions.
- Management of Health and Safety (delivery by 3rd party suppliers) contracts including workplace, DSE and fire risk assessment, asbestos re-inspection, CDM-Principle Designer and environmental monitoring.
- Provide advice to the business units on client tender submissions requiring evidence of an appropriate health and safety management system.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE/BUSINESS CONTINUITY
- Undertake incident management responsibilities - acting as one of four on-call incident management crisis coordinators
- In liaison with the Head of Business Continuity, plan and implement a Facilities incident response management exercise programme
- Be a source of expertise to the firm on health & safety, and related matters, reflecting knowledge and experience in accordance with chartered professional status.
- Undertake ad hoc projects as directed by the Director Security & Safety.
- Produce submissions for Health & Safety awards to support business profile.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health
- Ability to travel to and work across a multi-site environment at short notice to offices throughout the UK
- Ability to produce complex non-standard letters, sophisticated reports/documents containing technical terminology, for internal and external use
- Data analysis is complex; requirement to formulate proposals and have a major input to strategy development.
- To be proactive in identifying problem areas and innovative in developing new systems and implementing improved procedures.
- Excellent communication skills.
- As a crisis management lead – act decisively under pressure and respond and react efficiently and effectively in crisis situations – directing, leading, delegating and resolving crises.
- Good working knowledge of health & safety software such as accident reporting, DSE and risk assessment tools, and CAFM systems
- To understand and use recognised monitoring equipment and be able to interpret and apply testing results from such equipment
- Working knowledge of the Equality Act 2010 as it applies to accessibility issues
Reporting to the MBS International and EMEA Managing Director, this role builds credibility and cultivates ‘trusted-partner’ relationships with the wider KPMG International member Firm community. Responsible for driving utilisation for KPMG Microsoft Business Solutions (MBS) as the go-to place for all Microsoft near and offshore skills in EMEA and beyond. Providing trusted advisor expertise with member firms around their strategic approach to fulfilling their clients business and technology needs. Creates and progresses opportunities for MBS in the International market by leveraging a hybrid skillset of business development, pre-sales, technical excellence and delivery experience. Advocates innovation both within the firm and with clients and takes a role in developing team members to their full potential as well as promoting collaboration across teams.
You are confident in working along with others to win in client situations and deliver sustainable outcomes. Able to create deep relationships with Microsoft across EMEA and the ability to bring new opportunities to closure in partnership with Microsoft are a must.
A track record of growing and developing a business in a hyper growth situation and leading and developing a small team in the highly challenging environment that this growth creates whilst still delivering profitability expectations is fundamental.
Market Development – Leadership
- Owns the development and execution of a demand generation strategy for key markets to drive pipeline and sales to agreed KPI’s
- Responsible for the generation of pipeline and execution of sales for the International organisation, managing a team of ‘peers’
- Works with KPMG teams to create integrated propositions to meet the needs of specific industries or clients to build pipeline
- Effectively manages relationships with international member firms and commercial pursuits, to ensure successful execution and to proliferate long-term relationship development capital for MBS
Business Development – Execution
- Owns and cultivates senior stakeholder relationships within key strategically important KPMG members firms across EMEA
- Owns and manages key relationships within the KPMG partner network to drive pipeline from within the firms’ client base
- Owns and manages the relationship with key Microsoft stakeholders to develop co-selling opportunities
- Passionately promotes the Microsoft Business Solutions brand within international, to ensure that:
- MBS are the Microsoft practice with greatest mind share across KPMG globally
- Commercial proposals of international member firms include MBS resources from the Malta delivery centre
- The MBS International team’s competency, learnings, and methods are in demand across EMEA and team members are invited to influence and co-sell opportunities with local KPMG member firms to improve pipeline conversion
- Leads and augments bid teams for proposals for large scale transformation programmes (typically greater than €2m+)
- Supports the negotiation of contracts and ensures compliance with KPMG Microsoft Business Solutions policy
- Facilitates the engagement of senior EMEA Microsoft executives to provide sponsorship for opportunity qualification and advocacy of KPMG at the local country level
- Supports the development of the capability to identify, ideate, and harvest solutions and assets for key vertical markets and client needs to generate an opportunity pipeline
Sales Team/Operational Leadership
- Work with the Managing Director and leadership group to develop and execute the strategy and three-year business plan, constantly providing critical challenge and strategic mindset.
- Leads a small team including performance management, talent development and nurtures junior members of the team to cultivate highly motivated sales and delivery professionals to deliver the international growth strategy
- Fosters a culture of excellence, innovation, collaboration and knowledge sharing within the international team to develop leading-practice capabilities and cross functional understanding
- Design and implement key operational processes and ensure the team have the right cadence around internal meetings, effective ways of working and escalation and resolution of issues
- Manage operational performance – short, medium, long term – including headcount/ capacity planning
- Drive the financial performance of the International BU through preparation of robust budgets; quarterly re-forecasting; monitoring actual performance group reporting)
- Foster a performance metrics led culture with clear focus on driving accountability across the team and development and monitoring of KPIs/ metrics
- Drive commerciality within the International BU, by focussing on value add, profitability and effective management of risk
- Provide constructive challenge and input into key decisions eg qualification of opportunities and pricing
- Drives alignment with MBS Group – point person to roll out groupwide initiatives and act as the International BU voice with the MBS Group
Knowledge and Skills:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft technology (particularly Dynamics 365, Office 365 and Azure)
- Highly experienced working in partnership with technology partnerships to develop business systems or cloud-based technology propositions to meet client needs
- Can develop a demand generation strategy for a Microsoft solution sales team and lead the team to successful execution
- Proven track record having led technology centric transformation deals with values in excess of £5m and led the development of solutions, consulting offerings and assets to drive repeatable sales
- Extensive sales experience working in large matrix organisations across multiple countries and with senior stakeholders from either large consulting organisations or system integrators to develop pipeline. Additionally having an understanding of the Partnership based operating model
- Has an extensive Microsoft network at sales level
- Is able to lead the sales interlock with delivery teams to ensure profitable growth in partnership
- Passionate about talking to clients on current technology issues and market direction and seeks collaborative ways of working with both clients and KPMG teams
- Creative problem solving ability whilst working in ambiguous situations and understands the bigger strategic picture – agile in approach
- Proactively engages in cross-functional communications and sharing of information. Forward thinking – anticipate what might happen, actively ensuring others are pre-prepared for likely outcomes.
- Resourceful, well organised with a track record of multitasking. Flexible and resilient – this team works at a fast pace, so you will be priority focused, detail-conscious, dedicated, and able to work calmly under pressure and be adaptable
This is a permanent role.
An exciting opportunity has come up within KPMG to undertake a senior PR role as Deputy Head of Media Relations. You will support KPMG Executive and Board members on both proactive and reactive media relations and strategic counsel covering long-term profile-raising needs, media handling and issues management.
You will be proactive and skilled at developing impactful, UK wide media campaigns. You will also be adept at responding to media interest in our business, be confident to lead on corporate issues as required and gather the facts and respond within tight deadlines.
In this role, you will lead the PR for our network of Vice Chairs, who are board level senior partners, and give them strategic advice to help them develop their external profile on the issues that matter most to the firm. This will involve coordinating different members of our media relations team, who work closely with the Vice Chairs to deliver their campaigns.
You will also lead the PR for our Consulting and Infrastructure and Government teams.
We are looking for someone who is experienced in team management and has a genuine passion for helping and coaching others to help them progress their careers. You will be a confident line manager and will deputise for the Head of Media Relations as required.
This role also requires experience of managing a budget for a department. You will lead and oversee relationships with key suppliers such as media monitoring agencies and be responsible for the team's budget, to include overseeing spend and ensuring invoices are processed and paid on a timely basis.
The successful individual will:
- be a trusted advisor to senior stakeholders, and provide both proactive and reactive media relations advice and strategic counsel covering long-term profile-raising needs
- thrive on creating impactful media campaigns linked to a long term commercial strategy
- have the ability to lead on corporate issues, respond quickly to reactive press queries and juggle multiple tasks without missing deadlines
- have strong journalist relationships
- have managed people in previous roles
- have managed and worked alongside agencies, industry bodies and other third-parties
- have budget management experience
Expected skills and behaviours for the role
- understanding of the wider business environment, political landscape and the impact actions can have on client relationships
- willingness to provide cover out of hours as required
- evidence of an ability to spot issues-led media opportunities ahead of time
- ability to produce rapid reaction statements in response to media enquiries
- ability to work hand-in-hand with other parts of the KPMG business to deliver campaigns, including marketing, public affairs, digital, strategic and internal communications
- comfort advising senior stakeholders with often competing demands
- willingness to innovate
- be a role model for junior staff, coaching and supporting them to meet their career aims
- adherence to the KPMG values
Part of our technology organisation, this is a delivery-focused role, we are seeking an experienced and highly motivated SIAM Delivery Lead with service delivery management experience in a multi-supplier environment. The SIAM Delivery Lead is a multifaceted leadership role in a multi-supplier ecosystem supporting the implementation and management of the SIAM organisation, processes, and policies.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading a team of functional leads through the implementation, maintenance and delivery of the Multisource Integration (MSI) and ITSM Service Operations.
- Lead and develop the service integration and management (SIAM) capability within our technology organisation to deliver a model to manage our supply chain and a coherent and high-quality business experience.
- Design and implementation of an overall Service Integration and Management strategy in conjunction with other Technology leaders.
- Foster strong and enduring relationships across technology to support leaders and teams as they adopt and operate the model day to day.
- Be an energetic advocate for collaboration across teams to realise improvements in service, efficiency, quality and value with partners across our supply chain and the services delivered to our business.
- Understand the KPMG business and the impact of the ecosystem on its ability to succeed
- Support the organisational change initiatives required to transition the customers operations to the commercial-based SIAM ecosystem model
- Manage the transition and design of the SIAM organisation to an operational state, including any required staffing, processes, and strategic direction
- Oversee the SIAM functions including ecosystem governance, customer engagement, service transition, and performance management
- Optimise the overall operation of the ecosystem services, managed service providers, and processes to create and increase value for the customer
- Engage with the KPMG business at the enterprise architecture level to strategically align the demand for new technical capabilities and the services provided the ecosystem
- Collaborate with other ecosystem support functions such as Situational Awareness as a Service, Operations to manage the cross-functional processes required for seamless service delivery
- Directly support the Program Manager to ensure that all SIAM programmatic level responsibilities (e. g., staffing, programmatic deliverables, monthly reporting, ad hoc requests, etc.) are completed in a timely, accurate, and quality manner
- Be ultimately accountable for the performance of all UK and any off-shore resources, whether in a direct or in-direct reporting line
- Ensure all teams are compliant with performance management frameworks, information security standards, training requirements, risk, ethics, and behaviour and diversity guidelines
- Goal setting oversight to ensure high standards of SMART objectives
- Ensure adequate career guidance / counselling is in place to support teams
Your Responsibilities will include:
- Overall responsibility for end to end performance management of all suppliers acting as the supplier manager and internal service providers under the remit of SIAM with operational management as per the SLA’s and OLA’s respectively
- Develop a deep understanding of KPMG’s strategy, competitive advantage, operating businesses and ways of working
- Understand the key financial drivers and dynamics driving business growth and our business goals
- Develop and maintain strong and supportive relationships with internal stakeholders across Solutions and Delivery.
Manage the design of and transition to the new SIAM organisation
- Responsible for the design, implement and maintain of SIAM policies, processes and procedures
- Facilitating regular Service reviews with all suppliers to maintain a healthy, mutually supportive working relationship between KPMG and all suppliers
- Managing the payment of service credits in line with contractual terms and conditions in response to poor performance of contractual breaches etc.
- Design the ITSM tooling strategy including master data management and workflows.
- Defines, documents, maintains and communicates clear/unambiguous roles and responsibilities for the services and involved internal and external parties
- Oversee multisource functions such as supplier portfolio governance, the voice of the supplier surveys and activities and service transition processes.
- Lead the Service Integration & Management (SIAM) Team to deliver successful business outcomes while generating a strong team culture that promotes collaboration, innovation and a customer-centric approach.
- Must have extensive Service Delivery Management experience
- An understanding of cloud infrastructure i.e. Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Candidate must be pro-active and a team player, but capable of working effectively independently or with limited support.
- Experience in working with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies
- Strategy & roadmap creation and promotion
- Must be able to operate in a rapidly changing, very complex and technical environment.
- AWS and Azure exposure would be advantageous.