I'm looking for
Search results for "Customer Experience & Digital"
Manager – Corporate Treasury Services
Service Line: Audit
Corporate Tax Assistant Manager (Inhouse)
Service Line: IHQ
Senior Manager, Accounting Consultation, Banking Audit
Service Line: Audit
Manager - Employer Covenance - Restructuring
Service Line: Restructuring
Manager - Water - Infrastructure Advisory Group
Service Line: Corporate Finance
Return to Audit Programme - Intelligent Working
Service Line: Audit
Our Corporate Treasury Services team is focused on serving the world's leading Corporate Treasuries with their most complex business challenges, and is currently experiencing an exceptional rate of growth. The team offer deep treasury expertise in financial products and markets, risk management, systems, governance, valuation and accounting, and work closely with other high impact functions within KPMG such as Audit, Risk Consulting and Management Consulting to provide a wide range of treasury advisory and audit services, including:
- Undertaking reviews and implementations of Treasury strategies, policies, target operating models, cash management processes, and technology and systems
- Risk management assessments including foreign exchange, interest rate, credit and commodities
- Providing specialist support to external audit teams, including derivative valuations, hedge accounting, and financial instrument classifications
- Internal audits on treasury functions ranging from FTSE100 to Housing Associations and Charities, including benchmarking
- Technical support on accounting and regulatory change projects such as IFRS 9 Financial Instruments, new UK GAAP, EMIR and Basel III
Role and Responsibilities
- Assist with delivering Treasury advisory and audit projects ranging from strategy reviews, target operating models, and audit support, including providing input to larger, multi-disciplinary teams
- Assist senior management in providing clients with advice on technical treasury and accounting issues
- Assist in the preparation of presentations, thought leadership collateral and marketing material
- Support the business development of KPMG’s IFRS 9 client proposition/offering, and assisting in the responses to IFRS 9 client proposals, with a primary focus on Corporates
There will also be opportunities to be involved in other accounting areas, as well as regulatory areas, e.g. EMIR, Basel.
Qualifications and Skills
- Must possess professional qualification - ACA, ACCA or CPA. Individuals on track to be exam and time qualified this year may also be considered
- Sound technical knowledge of IAS 39 and IFRS 9 standards, and their practical application
- Strong analytical skills and ability to complete client deliverables/solutions
- Very good project management skills, demonstrated by a record of project delivery
- Excellent communication skills, including delivering presentations and communicating well with clients in writing and verbally, as well as advising and building relationships with senior client personnel
- Enthusiasm and energy to contribute to the team and help it grow
Experience and Background
- Prior work experience in a Corporate Treasury function with good technical knowledge of financial instruments, risk management, treasury strategies, systems, governance and controls
- Strong knowledge of accounting for financial instruments under IFRS, UK GAAP or US GAAP
- Experience with evaluating technical issues, analysing facts, consulting and delivering solutions to clients
- Understanding of accounting developments and key current issues facing clients
- Proven ability to identify and pursue business opportunities whilst maintaining a solution mindset, as well as drive and resilience to deliver in a pressured environment
- Proven track record in working with teams to bring high quality deliverables to a range of stakeholders
We are the in-house tax team for KPMG International(“KPMGI”). This is a unique opportunity to work inan internal rather than client-facing KPMG team.
KPMGI carries on business activities for the overall benefit of KPMG networkfirms, but does not provide professional services to clients. One of themain purposes of KPMGI is to facilitate the provision by KPMG network firms ofhigh-quality audit, tax, and advisory services to their clients. Forexample, KPMGI establishes and facilitates the implementation and maintenanceof uniform policies and standards of work and conduct by the KPMG networkfirms, and protects and enhances the use of the KPMG name and brand for thebenefit of these entities.
The in-house tax team for KPMGI works on awide and varied range of tax matters across direct and indirect tax. Someof the work is UK focused but much of the work is international, dealing with avariety of jurisdictions outside the UK. We drive the tax strategy, whichmeans understanding KPMGI’s business requirements and interacting with avariety of internal and external stakeholders to provide tax advice and ensurethat tax obligations are met around the world. The work is varied and weoperate in a challenging and stimulating environment.
Like many in-house tax teams, KPMGI outsources its compliance and also appointsadvisors to assist on specific projects. Where we use outside advisors,the tax team is responsible for actively managing the advisors, scoping theirwork, agreeing their fees, receiving and reviewing output and communicatingfindings and action points to the business.
Role and Responsibilities
Weare looking for a full time assistant manager who will be based in CanaryWharf, London.
There is minimal travelrequired.
The role reports into aLondon based Tax Director, with the Head of Tax based in the US.
Other than the Head of Tax, all of thein-house direct and indirect tax team are based in London.
The successful applicant will demonstrate anentrepreneurial attitude by working on a variety of advisory and complianceprojects. You will need to be capable of taking ownership of tasks and thinkingthrough technical and business issues, and will relish a role which isconstantly changing according to the needs of the business and the requirementsof the KPMG network firms globally. We are however a close knit team and youwill receive guidance and support from other team members to develop and growin this dynamic environment.
Typically, projects involve interaction with other teams within KPMGI (e.g.commercial, legal, finance) and with the tax team at the relevant KPMG memberfirm. With the support and guidance of other in-house tax team membersprojects might include:
• Being responsible for tax compliance filings in a number of differentjurisdictions, including overseeing the gathering of information, managingadvisors and reviewing tax returns.
• Dealing with enquiries from local tax authorities.
• Assessing the corporate tax obligations in various territories andcoordinating with the finance team in order to gather relevant data and localtax advisors in order to fulfil any tax filing obligations.
• Assisting on a wide range of ad hoc advisory projects in the UK and overseas,including consideration of financial information and reading relevant legaldocumentation.
• Assisting with the practical implementation of ad hoc projects, both from acompliance process perspective and a one of transaction / project perspective.
• Monitoring the implementation of significant tax legislative changes aroundthe world (e.g. BEPS) and assessing its impact on KPMGI’s tax position.
Qualifications and Skills
Qualified CTA or equivalent, with a corporate tax background. Some indirect taxexperience preferred but certainly not essential.
Experience and Background
• High level of drive and enthusiasm and a willingness to learn about newtaxes.
• Enjoy working with individuals from diverse backgrounds around the world, andgood at quickly building different networks according to the demands of eachproject.
• Strong team player but also capable of working independently and using initiativeto find practical solutions to tax technical and business matters.
• Strong project management skills; enjoy dealing with issues crossing overmultiple taxes and multiple jurisdictions.
• Ability to communicate effectively (internally and externally) both inwriting and orally, with tax specialists and non-tax specialists, in the UK andoverseas.
• UK and international tax knowledge and experience, including experience intax compliance and reading financial information, and preferably (but not anabsolute requirement) some knowledge of indirect taxes.
The Accounting Consultation team
provides in-depth technical accounting knowledge to the audited entities in
KPMG’s Banking Audit practice. The team brings technical knowledge with
practical insights and experience in the banking sector to advise our audit
teams on their most complex and judgmental technical accounting and reporting
Our team creates added value through:
-Seamless integration into
investment and retail banking audit teams to assist and deliver on the most
technical accounting aspects of their audits.
- Translating subject matter
expertise on complex accounting areas such as IFRS 9, hedge accounting and
structured transactions into comprehensible and practical solutions.
- Be at the forefront of, and drive
best practice in, financial instruments reporting across the KPMG audit
- Provide high quality and
practical training and education for external and internal audiences.
- Maintain close links with KPMG
UK’s national and global technical departments
Role and Responsibilities
- Advise on a wide range of accounting and reporting areas, with a focus
on financial instruments for our retail and investment banking clients.
- Integrate into audit teams to deliver responsive support based on strong
project management skills.
- Direct interaction with clients on our biggest clients and/or areas that
attract significant accounting risk.
- Inspection of financial statements of Public Interest Entity clients prior
- Develop internal and external training on accounting and financial
- Respond to ad-hoc accounting queries from audit teams
- Manage and mentor team members.
- There will also be opportunities to get involved in some advisory
engagements and projects led by other KPMG teams where accounting SME support
is required, e.g. IBOR replacement, Brexit, Finance transformation and
- Responsible for delegating, coaching and leading a team of assistant
managers who specialise in technical accounting alongside other managers and
under guidance of Partners/Directors to support our most complex banking
- Direct interaction with Banking audit Partners/Directors and regular
interaction with senior members of Banking audited entities' accounting
policy and finance functions, delivering insights in GAAP compliant solutions
to the audited entities most complex technical challenges.
- Responsible for delivering technical accounting solutions to maintain
industry leading audit quality to a range of complex audited entities
including global investment banks, mid-tier building societies and smaller
private banks. Solutions will be provided post internal consultation within
- Work experience in an accounting firm or finance function focusing on
financial instruments related technical accounting relevant to financial
- Experience of evaluating complex technical issues, requiring analysis
of facts and circumstances and consideration of alternatives culminating in
provision of sound practical GAAP compliant accounting solutions.
- Audit experience advantageous but not vital to role.
- Knowledge of finance processes, particularly accounting processes and/or
Professional qualification: ACA,
ACCA or CPA.
- Strong technical knowledge of accounting
standards related to financial instruments and/or relevant to Financial
Services clients (IAS 32 and 39, IFRS 3, 7, 9, 10, 13, 15 and 16, and FRS 102
sections 11 and 12) and crucially their practical application within the
written and communication skills; including delivering presentations and an
ability to communicate well with clients in writing and verbally.
- Strong project management skills, demonstrated by a record of accounting
Ability to motivate a team and lead
The KPMG Restructuring practice advises a wide range of businesses that find it increasingly difficult to manage their cost base and meet their financial obligations, including in respect of their pension schemes. Following a number of high profile failures, the management of pension scheme obligations has become a primary concern for all stakeholders (government, corporates and trustees) and, as a result, we have seen a material increase in demand for our advice in this area. Our team is targeting further significant growth over the next few years, leveraging our market leading credentials in this area.
During 2019, our Restructuring team advised on several high profile insolvencies, including a number of retail CVAs, where addressing the business’s pension obligations was a key concern. Over the course of 2019 we provided pensions specific Restructuring advice on corporate transactions with a total value in excess of £5 billion, across a wide range of sectors (Oil & Gas, Defence, Retail, Manufacturing), with clients ranging from Financials Investors and Global Listed Groups through to family owned businesses.
Due to the volatility in pension asset values and the UK population living for longer, pension funding requirements have grown materially in recent years. Further, following several high profile corporate failures, the regulations regarding the funding of pension schemes has become increasingly stringent. As a result, dealing with pensions stakeholders is now seen as a key boardroom issue, and our Restructuring pensions expertise means we liaise with our clients at a boardroom level – often directly with the CEO and / or CFO.
Due to the rapid growth in demand for these services, we are looking for a Manager to join our expanding National team, with this role based in London. Further, it is our expectation that there will be the opportunity for the right candidate to progress over time to an Associate Director grade.
The London Restructuring team comprises over 250 people, led by 24 partners and four associate partners. This specific role would see the successful candidate joining the National Markets London team (approx. 60 people, four partners and one associate partner), with a particular focus on assessing the financial strength of the companies that are responsible for funding defined benefit pension schemes and assessing how much these companies can afford to pay to their schemes to meet their funding requirements.
Our work is hands on – as well as producing concise reports, we are in the boardroom providing direct strategic and negotiation support, and then implementing our recommendations. Applicants should be ready to work in a dynamic, flexible and fast paced environment. The role requires strong accounting analysis, report writing skills and a commercial mind-set.
We work with a wide variety of clients, from small privately owned enterprises through to FTSE 100 and high profile businesses. Applicants should expect to work across all sectors.
Further, this role would also be ideal for candidates looking to work flexibly – we would be more than happy to accommodate a 4 day working week, or working reduced hours across a 5 day working week.
Roles and Responsibilities
To be an effective Manager within the Employer Covenant team, and in this role specifically, you will undertake the following:
• Build strong, trusted adviser relationships with senior management and other key stakeholders during engagements (including trustees, solicitors and actuaries);
• Manage teams of colleagues working on engagements, ensuring effective delegation and also multiple work stream delivery;
• Manage engagements and projects to scope, time, quality and budget complying with KPMG engagement management practices;
• Appraise situations (which can be challenging & fast developing) and look to develop innovative solutions, assessing options for businesses and/or stakeholders;
• Communicate views and insights (both in writing and verbally) in an effective and compelling manner to clients and KPMG colleagues, able to adjust style to circumstances;
• Lead the design and development of client ready deliverables with minimal Director and Partner input;
• Coach and develop team members providing high quality developmental feedback;
• Identify opportunities for the wider firm; and
• Involvement in business development activities, including developing pitches and proposals to win new work.
Qualifications and Skills
Key skills and competencies required:
• Strong commercial and business acumen, with evidence of experience;
• Demonstrable experience in leading work streams, advising and working alongside a range of stakeholders;
• Ability to work innovatively and ‘self-start’;
• Desire to build wide advisory expertise and develop knowledge of the team’s offerings;
• Ability to communicate well with operational and financial staff at all levels;
• Good time management and organisational skills, together with the ability to prioritise tasks;
• An ability to produce high quality, detailed and accurate work, and produce concise and creative reports and presentations;
• Enjoy working in a dynamic, flexible and fast paced project environment;
• Willingness to embrace work across all sectors;
• Willingness to undertake some travel, albeit this is typically limited to day trips; and
• Strong financial and analytical skills, with relevant accountancy qualification.
Experience and Background
Prior experience of undertaking pensions related work is not essential. Up front training and continuous coaching will be provided.
KPMG’s Infrastructure Group in the UK consists of c200 professionals and is widely recognised as one of the world’s leading independent financial and business advisers in infrastructure.
We provide in-depth advice on the strategic, financial, regulatory and commercial issues driving investments in infrastructure across Transport, Power & Utilities, and Social Infrastructure in the UK and internationally. Our work includes market and policy design, economic analysis, deal structuring and execution, as well as strategic and transaction advice to enable private and public capital to fund infrastructure. We also work closely with other functions within KPMG to advise clients on mergers and acquisitions, valuations, tax, accounting, and due diligence.
The utilities sector is a key business area for the Infrastructure Group and encompasses work for the large clients in the sector including all of the leading UK energy and water companies. We provide in depth strategic and technical advice on corporate finance issues, corporate financial management; regulatory finance, regulatory policy, business and financial planning, as well as other issues affecting value. We are widely recognised by many industry stakeholders as one of the most innovative advisors influencing the future of the sector.
Our business is expanding rapidly and is looking for a high-quality candidate to support our Power & Utilities business, with a particular focus on the water sector.
- You would be joining the leading provider of strategic economic consultancy services in the water sector.
- While you will have specific responsibilities for contributing towards the team’s water business, there will also be opportunities to work in other sectors, primarily energy networks.
- Working closely with sector and subject matter experts you will develop to become the ‘go to’ person for water economic advice. This will involve developing an in-depth understanding of Ofwat’s regulatory framework.
- You will build relationships with key clients across the sector, as well as with other advisors (e.g. legal and engineering).
- The projects that you will advise on will be high profile and varied. For example, in recent years we have advised on the regulatory framework for the Thames Tideway Tunnel, every aspect of water companies’ business plans, bulk supply trading negotiations, Competition and Markets Authority re-determinations, major transactions, organisational transformations, and much more. If there is a large strategic project taking place in the sector, the chances are we will be advising on it.
- There is no ‘typical project’. You will need to apply a structured strategic approach to problem solving, drawing on established economic principles, while having the capacity to think creatively.
- The work will include a combination of report drafting, economic analysis, and engaging with clients.
- You will need to be comfortable managing, coaching, and mentoring junior staff on specific projects.
- We are looking for someone who is passionate to learn and develop in the sector, while taking responsibility for the quality of deliverables produced.
- You will have experience in the utilities sector, in the industry, at a regulator, or as a consultant ideally with water sector experience.
- You will have knowledge either of the regulatory frameworks for utility companies, micro-economics, or finance (ideally all three).
- You will bring excellent report writing, Excel and PowerPoint skills—strong writing and quantitative skills are a must.
- You will be comfortable and/or experienced in presenting to clients.
- Be a highly motivated, ambitious self-starter, willing to take advantages of the opportunities this position offers.
Return to Audit – as flexible as your life needs you to be
We know the corporate world can sometimes feel like you are expected to be just like everybody else – however you are an individual and we like that.
Our Audit business has designed a return to work programme to target qualified audit professionals who are looking for flexibility; ensuring that they can balance their commitments at home with a return to work. This includes people who may have taken time out and are now looking for opportunities to combine a rewarding career in a supportive working environment.
What is on offer?
Return to Audit will support individuals in roles that are structured around flexible hours and remote working, with a focus on bridging the skills gap and building confidence to return to the workplace environment. All the roles are internally focused, across the UK and based at KPMG offices with the six week school holidays built in as leave. The roles will be within our Audit Centre of Excellence IT Audit and Front Line Audit teams. They cover an array of capabilities and skills ranging from technical audit expertise to project management.
The roles broadly fall into two categories - you can either have:
1. Flexible working for 3 or 4 days per week, with one of those days working at home; or
2. Reduced hours working a shorter day from 9:30am to 2:30pm.
The roles will be a fixed term annualised days’ contract of one year with an initial month of full time training, and with a second month of training and work shadowing until you are fully comfortable. After the contract expires, candidates will be able to apply for permanent positions, depending on the success of their time at KPMG.
At the heart of the programme is a structured induction programme aimed at getting you up to speed with the latest industry developments, refreshing technical skills and becoming integrated into our professional services environment. You will receive ongoing support in the form of a working mentor and a buddy. The development opportunities won’t end once the induction is finished. You will enter an ongoing training path with check-in points to evaluate progress against goals and determine additional training needs.
Who we are looking for?
- Candidates with ACCA/ACA or equivalent qualification
- Candidates must have demonstrable experience working in Audit in the last six years
- For those looking for roles specifically in IT Audit a degree/masters qualification in IT/business and a recognised accounting and/or auditing (e.g. CISA, ACA, CIMA) qualification would also be desirable.
- Candidates will have a passion for returning to Audit working alongside our teams to deliver quality results for our clients
- Candidates will be assessed on an individual basis, looking at prior audit experience and qualifications
We aim to attract exceptional people from diverse backgrounds who can deliver real results for our clients and drive the firm forward. If this is you and you are looking for a more flexible approach to work that can fit around your lifestyle or commitments at home, then please complete the application. We want to hear from you!