I'm looking for
Search results for "Legal Services"
Restructuring Manager - KProgression - London/Reading
Service Line: Restructuring
Audit Manager - Insurance
Service Line: Audit
Manager - P3M - Major Projects Advisory
Service Line: Corporate Finance
Senior Manager - Innovation, reliefs and Incentives (IRI) Team
Service Line: Claims and Incentives
ACE - Senior Manager, DPP Accounting & Reporting
Service Line: Audit
Manager - Employer Covenance - Restructuring
Service Line: Restructuring
The National Markets Restructuring team are looking for a Manager to join their team, based in either Reading or Canary Wharf.
The Restructuring NM London & Reading team delivers a blend of stakeholder / lender side advisory work (including support with financial restructurings), company side advisory and formal insolvency. The team in London and Reading provide services to a full spectrum of businesses from small owner managed concerns through to large multinationals and also a wide range of work with public sector organisations, all typically experiencing some form of stress or distress.
The team is not aligned to specific sectors and specialisms, however there are individuals with significant experience in certain areas and situations and we would welcome this in applicants. Applicants however should expect to work across all sectors as situations and client demand.
We are currently recruiting for a role in the Kprogression team where we are seeking a candidate with insolvency skills, including detailed knowledge of statutory and technical aspects of corporate insolvencies. The role will predominantly be based in the home office (Reading or Canary Wharf), however some travel is expected, either to other KPMG offices or client sites.
The role will involve working across a range of corporate insolvency appointments and applicants should be ready to work in dynamic, flexible and fast moving environments
Roles and Responsibilities
To be an effective Manager within Restructuring’s Kprogression team you’ll undertake the following:
• Working in engagement teams of typically 3 to 6 people, supporting senior team members on a range of insolvency engagements
• Working with the engagement team to ensure all statutory matters are delivered in accordance with the Insolvency Rules and regulations and on time
• Proactively advise the engagement team, including engagement leaders, on technical matters arising on engagements
• Drive forward progression of cases to a timely conclusion, including inputting into case strategy and demonstrating a commercial awareness
• Manage engagements and projects to scope, time, quality and budget complying with KPMG engagement management practices
• Build strong, trusted adviser relationships with senior management and mid-level executives and other key stakeholders in engagements (including lawyers and contacts at banks and other lenders)
• On certain relevant assignments, overseeing work as the main point of contact with the client, reporting back to engagement leaders and other senior staff
• Potential involvement in changes to how we deliver our work or new product development
• Involvement in business development activities
• Development of junior staff on assignments
• Potential work on non-insolvency appointments
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
• Drive and enthusiasm
• Demonstrable experience in managing own workstreams and insolvency assignments.
• Strong commercial and business acumen
• Ability to work innovatively and ‘self start’ and delegate to teams of colleagues
• Ability to coach colleagues and clearly explain technical aspects of insolvencies to others
• Ideally relevant insolvency qualifications
• Detailed corporate insolvency experience, specifically including statutory and technical aspects of engagements
• Ideally some experience working on all aspects of an insolvency in addition to statutory and technical matters
• Desire to build wide insolvency skillsets and develop knowledge of all Restructuring offerings
• Ability to communicate well with internal and external contacts and stakeholders at all levels. This is also often in challenging circumstances given the financial positions of the organisations we typically work with
• Willingness to embrace work across all sectors and potentially undertake some travel
• A positive team influence and achievements beyond the realms of engagement work.
KPMG is looking to consolidate its leading position within the Insurance marketplace by appointing talented and enthusiastic auditors into newly-created manager roles. Our insurance audit department is expected to grow significantly in the next 3 to 5 years based on recent audit tender results. In addition, the forthcoming new requirements from the IASB will generate a significant amount of change in the insurance industry. As a trusted partner within the industry, KPMG will be supporting insurance companies throughout this accounting change across a range of disciplines including financial reporting, actuarial, IT and management consulting disciplines.
Successful applicants will have the opportunity to be working on some of the largest opportunities in the marketplace and will be exposed to excellent career development within a fast-growing, multi-disciplinary team. Working alongside directors and partners, you will be in a senior client facing role, forging strong relationships with top tier insurance clients.
As an Audit Manager, you’ll be involved in all aspects of leading and delivering audit engagements, from planning through to completion on a broad spectrum of Insurance clients. The role will include executive level client interaction and exposure to multiple clients on an annual basis, as well as daily tasks such as:
- Leading a field work team including supervising and coaching more junior members of staff to help them reach their full potential Reporting to audit Partners and Directors on all salient points arising from audits
- Acting as the initial point of contact throughout the year for your clients; managing timetables, anticipating costs, raise fees and agree dates for cash collection. Planning and execution of audit fieldwork and statutory reporting across a portfolio of clients Project management of all aspects of audit including agreeing audit timelines, team briefings, and supervision and delivery of audit work
- Budgeting and monitoring the financial performance of projects, focusing on optimising profitability Identifying, researching and helping to resolve complex audit issues Preparing client deliverables, building relationships with the client staff and acting as an ambassador for the firm
- You may also have the opportunity to work on specific audit related projects across the audit function
- Being a performance manager to trainee accountants
Qualifications & Skills:
- Must possess professional qualification; ACA, ACCA or CPA (or international equivalent)
- Must demonstrate gravitas and impact to earn trust and respect amongst senior leadership and the team
- Established strong leadership skills and proven ability to provide clear directions and constructive feedback
Knowledge & Experience:
- Significant financial statement audit experience, ideally within professional services
- Extensive external audit experience with financial services clients, ideally in the Insurance sector
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of FRS, IFRS and topical matters relevant to insurance audits
- Experience in IFRS 17, US GAAP, Solvency II and CASS rules preferable, though not essential
- Proven ability to identify and pursue business opportunities whilst maintaining a solution mind-set
- Knowledge of developments within the financial sector and proven ability to proactively build strategic partnerships and influence senior leaders Drive and resilience to deliver in a pressured environment
- Commitment to building the reputation of KPMG through the quality of work, knowledge and experience relevant to the industry
KPMG’s Major Projects Advisory (MPA) team works with some of the world’s most demanding organisations, helping to crack some of the biggest challenges in Infrastructure.
We focus on:
- Capital Programmes and Portfolios
- Technology-Enabled Transformations
- Progressive Assurance
- Designing and Mobilising Major Projects/Programmes
- Designing, Integrating and Improving Programme Controls
- Advising on the structures and strategies behind Portfolios
- Helping clients to make major Investment Decisions
- Developing Project/Programme/Portfolio management capability within our clients
- Making sure accountable individuals and teams can sleep at night via expert, real-time assurance
As a true market leader, we boast an impressive client base across the commercial and public sectors, delivering lasting results in areas including Central Government, Transport, Energy and the Defence sectors.
On the back of continuing growth, we’re once again investing in our team and boosting our numbers – which means you’ll be joining one of the fastest growing areas of the firm at a time of real significance.
The work is varied and complex - just how we like it. And no one else does it quite like we do.
We’re small enough that every individual can make a huge impact, both internally and externally – but we’re also part of something much bigger. Alongside 16,000 of the brightest minds in the business. KPMG is a place where you can make an extraordinary difference without having to be anybody but yourself.
The things we do are wide-ranging and require plenty of entrepreneurial ability and intellectual curiosity.
Managers in our team are right at the forefront of delivery, and this role requires a breadth of management consulting experience - ideally gained from Infrastructure-related Projects and Programmes, but we’ll happily consider candidates with experience in other relevant fields.
As one of the senior consultants on the ground, you’ll be applying your experience every day, bringing to life tailored solutions for our clients whilst managing important relationships.
It’s a demanding job, but you’ll be well supported by the rest of us. After all, everything we do is a team sport.
Specifically, your day-to-day involves:
- Managing high-performing, multi-disciplinary consulting teams
- Managing the delivery of client-facing work within specialist areas, ensuring new processes and tools are designed with a strong human /end user focus – this includes producing high-quality outputs with serious attention to detail
- Looking after financial aspects of an engagement - ensuring we keep clients informed of costs and time incurred, in addition to raising invoices and recovering fees
- Business development - identifying potential opportunities for new assignments and assisting with bids
- Keeping up to date with specific (technical) developments affecting your work, identifying opportunities for thought leadership and assisting with the development of a KPMG opinion in your specific technical area
- Understanding the broader suite of services offered by KPMG and identifying opportunities to collaborate and design unique solutions for our clients
- Coaching and mentoring your colleagues – both up and down
- Being a role model and living our values
Skills and Qualifications
There is no one-size fits all in MPA; we’re as diverse as the world around us. We hand pick our people because they’re our most important asset – and people pick us because we really mean that.
For this opportunity, we’re looking for candidates with a strong consulting background of between five and seven years’ experience - primarily built around the delivery of major Projects/Programmes.
Your track record should evidence:
- Experience working within a Consulting environment – either for another consultancy or in an advisory role in Industry/Government
- Some experience in at least one our priority markets - Transport, Defence, Energy or Utilities sectors
- In-depth experience of applying Project, Programme and/or Portfolio management – and a passion for the discipline
- A foundation of excellent academics and good career progression to date
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- An ability to build and maintain great relationships and a desire to network across our firm
- Confident communication and presentation skills
- A good spread of experience using different software/applications (e.g. Teams, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, Oracle P6, Slack, Clarizen)
- Relevant professional certification – e.g. APM PMQ/PPQ; MoP; MSP; PRINCE2
Experience in one of the following areas would also help you stand out – but it’s not essential:
- Delivering targeted business process improvement(s) in relation to capital investment Portfolios and major Projects/Programmes
- Delivering advisory services such as organisational design and governance optimisation
- Working in partnership with clients to shape strategic direction and helping them to go out and implement
- Performance and efficiency improvement
- Enhancing Project and Programme controls
- Assurance and monitoring
- Troubled Project/Programme reviews
One final word from us…
Everybody likes to say they’re different... but we really think we are. We do what we say, and we say what we mean.
We’re hugely proud of what we’ve managed to achieve so far – but we’re only just getting started. We’re looking for people to grow with us and are committed to helping everybody reach their destination, regardless of what that is.
Rapid career progression means that if you show up and you’re ready to step up - you’ll be promoted. Because we recognise talent, not just tenure.
And with all the support, training, and development you need, the sky really is the limit.
No matter what skills you bring to our team, you’ll be surrounded by spirited, naturally curious people. People who want to learn from you, and who’ll also teach you a thing or two along the way. It’s how we make a collective impact, greater than the sum of its parts.
And if this isn’t the role for you but you like what you see, keep in touch. There will be other opportunities to join us.
Our IRI team is looking for a Senior Manager with experience of preparing claims. The role sits in our Financial Services performance group and works with the national IRI Tax practice to accelerate the growth of our business. You will be required to use your knowledge of IRI tax incentives to help our clients in make claims for IRI Tax relief across a wide spectrum of industry sectors. The role will may involve some travel to attend meetings at client sites.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Prepare summary descriptions of the work being undertaken within complex projects in straightforward language that is clear to understand to be submitted to the HMRC.
- Work with HMRC specialists to facilitate the agreement of IRI claims.
- Manage client claim projects and to manage conflicting resourcing requirements between projects.
- Leading by example in terms of client relationships, technical quality and service delivery
- Work with senior staff at our clients to identify qualifying projects and expenditure.
- Deliver comprehensive proposals and taking part in presentations
- Leading complex projects
- Leading people including coaching and developing junior staff.
- Build an internal network within the wider tax practice of the firm
- Help to establish and maintain strong client relationships with both existing and new clients
Qualifications and Skills:
- Science or technical degree to 2.1 level preferred.
- Experience of preparing IRI claims.
- Tax technical knowledge of the UK’s IRI tax incentives
- Broader knowledge of wider tax issues
- Experience in reviewing preparations and submissions of IRI tax relief claims
- Experience in dealing with and building relationships with senior employees within HMRC.
- Identifies, leads and pursues business opportunities
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for own and team’s work
- Sustains a high level of drive, shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude that translates across the team
- Continuously learns from experiences and encourages this across the team.
- Seeks out feedback and development opportunities for self and others
- Gives clear directions, positive and constructive feedback.
- Coaches less experienced staff
- Works in a cooperative, respectful manner with colleagues, clients and the wider community
- Brings incite and effectively applies knowledge to business and client problems
- Identifies core issues, investigates, evaluates and makes decisions with appropriate consultation
- Communicates with impact, in a way that is open, honest, consistent and clear
- Builds the reputation of KPMG through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- Monitors and upholds high quality of service and products to clients (internal and external)
KPMG is looking for a new Senior Manager for their Technical Accounting Department. The Department of Professional Practice (DPP) Accounting & Reporting team is part of our wider Audit National group and advises our audit teams on the most difficult technical accounting and reporting issues, driving the quality of what we do as a firm. They advise on issues relating to companies that KPMG either audits or advises, across the country and across sectors, and they have a high degree of direct contact with partners and directors. Our teams provide:
- Solutions for accounting and reporting issues to our audit teams
- Online guidance on the above matters for all staff in the business
- Training for all staff in the business
- Training support for our graduate trainees
We are currently looking for a Senior Manager to join our DPP team on a full-time basis in our London office.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Advise on a wide variety of accounting and reporting queries from KPMG audit teams across all markets and across the UK on the application of financial reporting requirements – both IFRS and UK GAAP – as well as regularly on UK company law
- Undertake reviews of the accounts of our listed clients prior to issuance
- Develop training and internal guidance for UK staff on financial reporting matters
- Maintain knowledge management in the team, including management a team responsible for key accounting standards (e.g.: IFRS 15)
- Deliver training sessions and develop publications
- Manage and mentor team members
Skills, Qualifications and Experience required:
- ACA qualification or international equivalent
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge and practical experience of IFRS and International Auditing Standards (UK & Ireland), including IFRS 9, IFRS 15 and IFRS 16
- Recent, extensive technical accounting experience gained through working in a technical department of a “Big 4” accounting firm
- Strong ability to evaluate technical issues, analyse facts, consult internally and arrive at solutions
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to make complex matters understandable to staff in other departments.
- Solid project management with a proven track record in delivering high quality programmes, projects or assignment outputs
- Strong resilience and ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment
- Well-developed team management and supervisory skills
- Practical experience with UK GAAP and UK Company Law
- Substantial performance management experience with the ability to motivate a team and lead by example
Opening date: 03/06/2020
Closing date: 30/06/2020
Competitive salary plus negotiable benefits
We recognise that as individuals, we each have particular needs and that one size doesn’t fit all, when it comes to how, when and where you work. That’s why we’re proud to offer our colleagues agile working options. We believe in putting you at the centre of your career – KPMG will offer the training, development and stimulating work environment to help you get to where your career ambitions are. That’s why we introduced ‘Our Deal’ – it’s our way of saying ‘thank you’ for bringing your best to work. As part of ‘Our Deal’, you may benefit from a range of rewards from secondment opportunities and preferential banking services to a day off on your birthday and have open, honest conversations about your career development
The KPMG Restructuring practice advises a wide range of businesses that find it increasingly difficult to manage their cost base and meet their financial obligations, including in respect of their pension schemes. Following a number of high profile failures, the management of pension scheme obligations has become a primary concern for all stakeholders (government, corporates and trustees) and, as a result, we have seen a material increase in demand for our advice in this area. Our team is targeting further significant growth over the next few years, leveraging our market leading credentials in this area.
During 2019, our Restructuring team advised on several high profile insolvencies, including a number of retail CVAs, where addressing the business’s pension obligations was a key concern. Over the course of 2019 we provided pensions specific Restructuring advice on corporate transactions with a total value in excess of £5 billion, across a wide range of sectors (Oil & Gas, Defence, Retail, Manufacturing), with clients ranging from Financials Investors and Global Listed Groups through to family owned businesses.
Due to the volatility in pension asset values and the UK population living for longer, pension funding requirements have grown materially in recent years. Further, following several high profile corporate failures, the regulations regarding the funding of pension schemes has become increasingly stringent. As a result, dealing with pensions stakeholders is now seen as a key boardroom issue, and our Restructuring pensions expertise means we liaise with our clients at a boardroom level – often directly with the CEO and / or CFO.
Due to the rapid growth in demand for these services, we are looking for a Manager to join our expanding National team, with this role based in London. Further, it is our expectation that there will be the opportunity for the right candidate to progress over time to an Associate Director grade.
The London Restructuring team comprises over 250 people, led by 24 partners and four associate partners. This specific role would see the successful candidate joining the National Markets London team (approx. 60 people, four partners and one associate partner), with a particular focus on assessing the financial strength of the companies that are responsible for funding defined benefit pension schemes and assessing how much these companies can afford to pay to their schemes to meet their funding requirements.
Our work is hands on – as well as producing concise reports, we are in the boardroom providing direct strategic and negotiation support, and then implementing our recommendations. Applicants should be ready to work in a dynamic, flexible and fast paced environment. The role requires strong accounting analysis, report writing skills and a commercial mind-set.
We work with a wide variety of clients, from small privately owned enterprises through to FTSE 100 and high profile businesses. Applicants should expect to work across all sectors.
Further, this role would also be ideal for candidates looking to work flexibly – we would be more than happy to accommodate a 4 day working week, or working reduced hours across a 5 day working week.
Roles and Responsibilities
To be an effective Manager within the Employer Covenant team, and in this role specifically, you will undertake the following:
• Build strong, trusted adviser relationships with senior management and other key stakeholders during engagements (including trustees, solicitors and actuaries);
• Manage teams of colleagues working on engagements, ensuring effective delegation and also multiple work stream delivery;
• Manage engagements and projects to scope, time, quality and budget complying with KPMG engagement management practices;
• Appraise situations (which can be challenging & fast developing) and look to develop innovative solutions, assessing options for businesses and/or stakeholders;
• Communicate views and insights (both in writing and verbally) in an effective and compelling manner to clients and KPMG colleagues, able to adjust style to circumstances;
• Lead the design and development of client ready deliverables with minimal Director and Partner input;
• Coach and develop team members providing high quality developmental feedback;
• Identify opportunities for the wider firm; and
• Involvement in business development activities, including developing pitches and proposals to win new work.
Qualifications and Skills
Key skills and competencies required:
• Strong commercial and business acumen, with evidence of experience;
• Demonstrable experience in leading work streams, advising and working alongside a range of stakeholders;
• Ability to work innovatively and ‘self-start’;
• Desire to build wide advisory expertise and develop knowledge of the team’s offerings;
• Ability to communicate well with operational and financial staff at all levels;
• Good time management and organisational skills, together with the ability to prioritise tasks;
• An ability to produce high quality, detailed and accurate work, and produce concise and creative reports and presentations;
• Enjoy working in a dynamic, flexible and fast paced project environment;
• Willingness to embrace work across all sectors;
• Willingness to undertake some travel, albeit this is typically limited to day trips; and
• Strong financial and analytical skills, with relevant accountancy qualification.
Experience and Background
Prior experience of undertaking pensions related work is not essential. Up front training and continuous coaching will be provided.