I'm looking for
Search results for "Office of General Counsel (OGC)"
Manager, Technical Accounting Advisory Financial Services - Birmingham
Service Line: Audit
Service Line: Solutions & Digital
Corporate Tax Compliance Assistant Manager - Funds specialist
Service Line: Tax Central
Restructuring Senior Administrator
Service Line: Restructuring
Audit Manager - Corporates
Service Line: Audit
Cyber Security - Incident Response Senior Consultant
Service Line: RC Technology
Work as a key member of our growing Financial Services Accounting Advisory Services (FSAS) team based in Birmingham. The team provides specialist accounting advice to clients across a range of areas. Engagements focus on the application of technical accounting – in particular providing financial instrument accounting advice (including hedge accounting), accounting policy conversions and GAAP analysis, implementation support for new standards, group restructurings, and training – often working as part of cross-functional teams including FSAS London, FSAS Regulatory, Accounting Advisory Services, Financial Risk Management, Audit, Tax and Forensics.
We are seeking additional qualified accountants to work at Manager level to continue to extend the depth and breadth of financial services accounting based services in our Birmingham office, in the areas listed above and beyond.
- Managing the delivery of live accounting advisory client engagements and leading technical accounting work streams of larger multi-disciplinary engagements
- Providing subject matter expertise on technical accounting as well as practical implications relating to new accounting standards (e.g. IFRS 9, IFRS 15, IFRS 16)
- Reviewing technical accounting and risk interpretations related to new accounting standards prepared by clients (e.g. IFRS 9, IFRS 15, IFRS 16), provide challenge and recommendations
- Respond to clients’ and audit teams’ ad-hoc accounting queries related to financial instruments
- Development and delivery of accounting training to clients and internal KPMG teams
- Managing and mentoring engagement team members
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with both clients and KPMG individuals
- Contributing to practice and risk management, including thought leadership and business development activities
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Qualified accountant (ACA or international equivalent qualification)
- Must be able demonstrate strong technical accounting experience with IFRS, especially related to financial instruments (IAS 32, IAS 39 (including hedge accounting), IFRS 7 and IFRS 9)
- Must have previous financial sector experience – for example, working with building societies, other mutuals, intermediaries or banks
- Must be able to demonstrate strong experience with recent developments in accounting, in particular IFRSs 9, 15 and 16
- Must have experience of developing and presenting accounting training courses
- Must have experience of managing teams and project management
Opening Date: 31/07/2020
Closing Date: 28/08/2020
Salary: Competitive + Discretionary Bonus + Benefits
Open for Multiple Vacancies
Role and Responsibilities
The Powered Apps teams are communities of technology focussed professionals who work together to deliver KPMG Powered Enterprise though a standardised delivery model, which drives professional delivery to clients. The teams use their functional knowledge and experience (e.g. Finance, HR, Procurement), coupled with their expertise in the cloud applications (e.g. Oracle, Workday, Coupa) to lead and deliver client programmes, support pre-sales activities and develop improvement and extensions to Powered Enterprise. KPMG are growing their S&D - Powered Apps team to meet an ever-increasing demand for our market leading services and are seeking IT management consultants with relevant expertise and experience.
As the growth of our Powered HCM practise continues we are looking for Process Leads who have experience of configuring Workday to join our team
• Developing lasting client relationships and actively building a network and range of experience to help address client needs
• Provide compelling and well thought out solutions to problems of moderate complexity
• Experience of implementing at least one module of the relevant cloud Workday platform
• Leading client facing meetings and facilitation of workshops with larger groups of client teams
• Lead an offshore team to design, configure and test a module or process area to successful deployment for a client
• Developing end to end solutions using the best of good industry practise combined with understanding the optionality available within the product.
Skills, Qualifications and Experienced Required
Our candidates should have strong commercial acumen, hunger to learn and develop and be able to thrive in a fast-paced working environment.
• Educated to degree level
• Strong documentation, reporting and presentation skills
• Well-developed analytical skills and the ability to provide clarity to complex issues, and synthesize large amounts of information
• Experience in a functional and/or technical role in a delivery environment
• Experience producing project deliverables (business requirements, functional specs, configuration document, process flows, use cases, requirements traceability matrices etc.)
• Strong Microsoft Office skills particularly Excel and PowerPoint
• Strong interpersonal, team building, organisational and motivational skills
• An awareness of key delivery methodologies, approaches and market trends in the industry
• Fast learner with an ability to get up-to-speed in a short space of time
• Experience of working effectively with client functional team representatives
• Self-starter attitude and ability to work well within ambiguity
We are now looking for a talented Tax Assistant Manager with Funds tax experience to join us here.
You will be able to demonstrate exceptional tax compliance skills, the ability to work to tight deadlines and produce a first class product ready for issue to our clients. This will involve working closely with tax professionals based in all of KPMG’s UK offices, along with our offshore partners (who manage processing aspects), to deliver a seamless service to our clients.
We can offer a full time or part time role with flexible working arrangements which include, early or late starts to fit around other commitments, shorter working days etc. We would be happy to discuss your own requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements in more detail, should that be of interest.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Maintain a portfolio of clients and take responsibility for ensuring their tax computations are prepared to a high standard, on a timely basis and finalised and submitted to HMRC within agreed deadlines.
- Work with the KPMG local office teams nationally and/or the client directly to understand the requirements at the start of each compliance cycle and provide instructions to the tax computation preparers.
- Potential visits to clients/ local offices when appropriate.
- Review the draft tax computation produced to ensure correct treatment of items and determine whether further information is required.
- Liaise with the client to obtain additional information if required, feeding back to the tax computation preparers to enable them to provide an updated draft computation for subsequent review.
- Identify and resolve technical issues, preparing technical analysis and involving specialists as appropriate to prepare or review analysis.Deliver a high quality, technically accurate final draft tax computation, ready for final review by a manager/senior manager and sending to the client.
- Provide advice and support to the KPMG local office team and/or client, as requested, including for example providing assistance in the drafting of responses to HMRC correspondence and preparing tax accounting disclosures.
- Develop and maintain relationships and act as primary liaison with KPMG local office teams and our offshore partners.
- Work with client administrators to ensure client administration and risk procedures are completed appropriately, liaising with KPMG local office teams as needed.
- Identify opportunities to provide additional services that the client may require and liaise with subject specialists.
- Follow KPMG best practice and policy.
Qualifications and skills
We welcome applications from those qualified by experience, as well as ATT / CTA / ACA or equivalent qualifications.
Experience and background
- Experience of review of funds tax computations and returns.
- Ability to identify and resolve technical issues, or escalate as appropriate.
- Experience of specific technical areas including: corporate streaming, offshore funds, foreign income and withholding taxes, bond funds and s400 adjustments.
- Awareness (experience preferred) of technical areas including: PAIFs and REITs, exempt dividends.
- Strong interpersonal skills in addition to strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent team work and organisational skills, including monitoring timetables and budgets.
- Proficient user of Alphatax (or similar tax software).
The team delivers a blend of stakeholder / lender side advisory work (including support with financial restructurings), company side advisory and formal insolvency. The team provide services to a full spectrum of businesses from small owner managed concerns through to large multinationals and also a wide range of work with public sector organisations, all typically experiencing some form of stress or distress.
The team is not aligned to specific sectors and specialisms, however there are individuals with significant experience in certain areas and situations and we would welcome this in applicants. Applicants however should expect to work across all sectors as situations and client demand.
Where possible, assignments will be resourced to suit individuals’ base locations, but the nature and unpredictability of our work will mean that some travel (and possible international working) will be required.
We are currently specifically recruiting for a role in the Kprogression team where we are seeking a candidate with insolvency skills, including detailed knowledge of statutory and technical aspects of corporate insolvencies.
The role is client facing and will involve working across a range of corporate insolvency appointments. Applicants should be ready to work in a lively, stimulating and busy environment working under pressure and to deadlines. You will be part of a case progression and closure team and will report to the managers responsible for each particular case. You will have additional responsibilities to assist with the training and development of less experienced staff.
The role can be based in our Reading or Canary Wharf office.
To be an effective senior case administrator within Restructuring’s Kprogression team you will undertake the following:
- Work alongside case managers and engagement leaders to progress and provide support on Corporate insolvency engagements;
- Ownership of a portfolio of cases, with responsibility for proactive case progression, report drafting, statutory compliance and ensuring all correspondence is responded to and queries dealt with effectively;
- Produce statutory and other reports, correspondence, minutes, file notes, emails, schedules and analysis;
- Prepare budgets for an engagement or aspect of an engagement for case manager review;
- Assist with on the job training and development of less experienced staff;
- Explain routine technical matters to other colleagues, including senior staff;
- Participate in occasional marketing events to aid development of internal and external contacts;
- Attend to any other administrative task required by the role.
- You will have prior insolvency related work experience, ideally with a statutory and technical background;
- You will be interested in a career in insolvency with a willingness to learn quickly and operate as part of a team;
- You have an interest in commercial and financial matters are able to demonstrate practical common sense;
- You will have good time management and organisational skills together with the ability to prioritise tasks to ensure that deadlines are met;
- You are conscientious and are able to produce high quality, detailed and accurate work;
- You possess good people and communication skills, able to confidently and articulately deal with all parties in what can sometimes be difficult situations;
- You will demonstrate proactivity and be able to “self-start”, either individually or as part of a team;
- You will delegate tasks to less experienced team members and have the ability to provide on the job coaching to other members of the department or engagement team;
- You will have the ability to assess the various alternatives for dealing with specific case issues and present suggestions to the case manager or engagement leader (as appropriate);
- You will be willing to travel and work from a different KPMG office or a client site as required from time to time.
- Technical skills as follows: Outlook (basic level); a good knowledge of Excel and Word; Strong knowledge of IPS; A high standard of letter writing; Experience of drafting statutory reports.
As an Audit Manager, you will be involved in all aspects of leading and delivering audit engagements, from planning through to completion on a broad spectrum of Corporates clients. The role will include executive level client interaction and exposure to multiple clients on an annual basis, as well as daily tasks such as:
- Leading a field work team including supervising and coaching more junior members of staff to help them reach their full potential
- Reporting to audit Partners and Directors on all salient points arising from audits
- Planning and execution of audit fieldwork and statutory reporting across a portfolio of clients
- Project management of all aspects of audit including agreeing audit timelines, team briefings, and supervision and delivery of audit work
- Budgeting and monitoring the financial performance of projects, focusing on optimising profitability
- Identifying, researching and helping to resolve complex audit issues
- Preparing client deliverables, building relationships with the client staff and acting as an ambassador for the firm
- Keeping up to date with KPMG's product and service offerings and identifying the sales opportunities that will help us grow our business
- Working on audit tenders and working as part of the relevant independence team on these tenders. Tasks may include: reviewing global engagement records in sentinel; analysing and categorising the records; contacting partners globally for engagement information; preparing data and drafting Independence reports; liaising with the UK Ethics and Independence team
- You may also have the opportunity to work on specific audit related projects across the audit function
Required Experience and Background:
- Self-driven and resilient and able to thrive in a pressurised environment
- Well-developed team management and supervisory skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals both internally and externally at different levels of seniority
- The desire to work in a diverse environment, gain exposure to an international working environment and undertake new challenges
- Strong project management techniques including decision-making ability, analytical skills, time management, prioritisation, organisation and evaluative skills
- Monitors and upholds high quality of service and products to clients (internal and external)
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Fully qualified ACA/ACCA or international equivalent
- Recent, extensive external audit experience at Manager level within a 'Big 4’ or mid-tier firm
- Team management experience with the ability to motivate a team and lead by example
- The ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals both internally and externally at different seniority levels
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong IT literacy, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Sound practical knowledge of IFRS
- Previous exposure to a range of Corporates sectors such as telecommunications, media, energy, utilities, and/or oil&gas
The role will be working in the Cyber Response Services (CRS) Team within our Risk Consulting practice. Cyber security is one of the areas which KPMG has identified for tremendous investment and growth. Our clients face a challenging cyber threat and look to us to help them understand and respond to that threat.
This is a hands-on role with opportunities to grow into management. The successful candidate is expected to manage cyber-security incidents as well as perform digital forensics (disk, volatile memory, network packets, logfiles) and help advance KPMG’s proprietary in-house toolkit.
In this role we are looking for a person who can demonstrate strong technical background, experience in incident response and digital forensics and is looking to grow skills and experience. You will be expected to lead one or two analysts to achieve a task in a project, as well as have the opportunity to work with, and learn from, our most experienced team members as part of your continuous development.
When not responding to incidents, you will help our clients to build their in-house incident response capabilities, which will include: building and developing cyber-response tools, authoring and adapting runbooks/playbooks, assessing the incident response maturity, assisting in table-top cyber-scenario exercises.
We will welcome applications from candidate with a good competency in incident management, but with a developing competency and keen interest in digital forensics, or vice versa. KPMG will provide training and coaching to help you continually improve you skills. Strong technical competency - intermediate systems administration skills and programming skills to develop tools, however, is a pre-requisite.
Our clients expect that cyber-incidents will be tackled with urgency, therefore, there is an expectation that you will be flexible in terms of working hours. In return, KPMG will offer flexible working hours and work from home days for employees who have demonstrate reliability in delivery. For example, if you are writing a post-mortem report or working on a run-book, you can do so from home.
Above all, KPMG is looking for someone who is passionate about helping our clients with their cyber security challenges, often at a time of critical need. In return, we are committed to helping you to enjoy the role and develop your skills and career within the KPMG.
• Help manage and co-ordinate cyber security incidents for our clients, working closely with the incident management lead within the team.
• Digital forensics of relevant incident data (disk, volatile memory, network packets, log files).
• Maintaining a current view of the cyber threat, and being able to advise clients on the threat landscape and attacks which may be relevant to them.
• Develop KPMG’s in house cyber-response tools
• Help assess client incident response capability maturity.
• Help stand-up or improve clients’ own incident response capabilities.
• Help with project management of engagements to deliver high quality work in a timely manner, including:
• Basic financial management
• Engagement and risk management
• Production and review of deliverables.
• Liaising with clients on delivery, implementation and sales issues.
This position is well suited for an individual with significant experience in cyber-security and incident response. For example: a very common type of incident is ransomware on a single workstation/laptop. You should be able to guide a client through a structured incident response process – triage, containment, eradication and recovery. If you are provided with forensic data such as: disk image, memory image and network data capture or proxy logs, you should be able to identify malware artefacts, source of infection and use online research to identify malware family.
• A broad understanding of the cyber security threat landscape.
• Strong technical background in computers and networks, and programming skills.
• Experience of dealing with cyber security incidents and associated response measures.
• Experience of being part of an incident response team, either holding a formal role, or being able to evidence your personal contribution to the team.
• Understanding of a wide range of information security and IT methodologies, principles, technologies and techniques.
• A genuine interest and desire to work in the information security field.
• Standing and positive reputation in the information security community is seen as a plus.
Qualifications and Skills:
The successful candidate will demonstrate competency in computing and networks as well as in cyber-security either by having the relevant work experience, completed a degree or obtained industry relevant certification. Therefore the qualifications below should be seen as means to demonstrate competency and not as a requirement. The desired skill and qualification is provided below:
• Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and project management skills.
• Strong IT and network skills – knowledge of common enterprise technologies – Windows and Windows Active Directory, Linux, Cisco, etc.
• Working programming skill-set to be able to author and develop tools. Most in-house security tools in KPMG are written in Python, but we accept that a competent programmer will be able to transfer skillsets across languages.
• Technical proficiency in at least one of these areas: network security/traffic/log analysis; Linux and/or Mac/Unix operating system forensics; Linux/Unix disk forensics (ext2/3/4, HFS+, and/or APFS file systems), advanced memory forensics, static and dynamic malware analysis / reverse engineering, advanced mobile device forensics
• Advanced experience in industry computer forensic tools such as X-Ways, EnCase, FTK, Internet Evidence Finder (IEF) / AXIOM, TZWorks, and/or Cellebrite
• Advanced experience in preservation of digital evidence (including experience preserving cloud data and handling encryption such as BitLocker, FileVault, and/or LUKS)
• Experience with and understanding of enterprise Windows security controls
• (Preferred) Degree level qualified, MSc in Information Security, IT or relevant STEM subjects.
• (Preferred) General information security certificates such CISSP, CISM or CISA.
• (Preferred) Incident management certifications such as:
• CREST certified incident manager (CCIM)
• GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH)
• (Preferred) Digital forensics certificates such as:
• CREST certified registered intrusion analyst (CRIA)
• CREST certified network intrusion analyst (CCNIA)
• CREST certified host intrusion analyst (CCHIA)
• CREST certified malware reverse engineer (CCMRE)
• GIAC Certified (Network) Forensic Analyst (GCFA, GNFA)
• (Preferred) A current government security clearance (SC/DV) or willingness to acquire such a clearance will be seen as an advantage.