I'm looking for
Search results for "KPMG International"
Indirect Tax Assistant Manager (Trade & Customs)
Service Line: Indirect Tax
Assistant Manager - MPA - Quantity Surveyor
Service Line: Corporate Finance
Manager - Financial Services Audit - Edinburgh/Glasgow
Service Line: Audit
Manager – Corporate Treasury Services
Service Line: Audit
Manager - Transport Economics and Regulation - Infrastructure Advisory
Service Line: Corporate Finance
Manager - Non Life Actuarial
Service Line: FRM
KPMG has one of the leading Indirect Tax practices in the UK.
We work as a national practice providing advice and support in all aspects of Indirect Tax (VAT, Customs Duty, Green taxes) to a broad range of business sectors including large multi-nationals, household name retailers and public sector organisations.
The Indirect Tax practice is a fast-growing and dynamic business, currently with 13 partners and approximately 240 professional staff in the UK.
The role in question is with the Trade & Customs team.
Trade & Customs
KPMG has a large team of Trade & Customs specialists located across the UK, working to support our national portfolio of clientswith a variety of Trade & Customs issues.. Within the team we have deep specialists in areas such as valuation, classification, origin andcustoms special procdures. We work closely with our colleagues both in Indirect Tax, other areas of Tax such as Transfer Pricing, and the wider Advisory business to deliver value to KPMG’s clients; we offer a wide range of services including customsadvisory, Brexit planning, compliance reviews and preparation of duty reclaims.
Roles and Responsibilities
You will be a key member of our team:
- Providing high quality Indirect Tax advisory services on a broad range of indirect tax issues to a wide range of clients;
- Maintaining, developing and ultimately managing KPMG’s strong relationships with clients;
- Developing innovative solutions and opportunities for our clients;
- Assisting in the implementation of business development initiatives;
- Developing more junior members of the team from both a technical and commercial perspective;
- Working closely with senior managers, directors and partners who will provide you with the support and opportunities to assist you in realising your full potential.Experience and Skills
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who would like to be part of a successful and growing team. You should be someone who:
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for their work;
- Is driven and committed;
- Is ambitious and motivated to grow personally;
- Shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude;
- Seeks out feedback and development opportunities; Identifies and pursues business opportunities;
- Gives clear direction and is able to provide positive, constructive feedback;
- Is willing to coach less experienced staff;
- Works in a cooperative, respectful manner with colleagues and clients;
- Analyses problems, identifies core issues, investigates, evaluates and integrates information;
- Communicates with impact, in a way that is open, honest, consistent and clear; and
- Monitors and upholds high quality of service and products to clients
The Major Projects Advisory practice is a global practice within KPMG, working in USA, Australia, South Africa, India and the Middle East. The UK practice is well established with a team of circa 40 people who work mainly in the UK but also on overseas assignments. Our focus is on major capital projects for public and private sector clients in the following sectors:
· Natural resources
· Power and utilities
· Oil, gas and process engineering
This is a fast growing area offering exciting opportunities
The MPA team in the UK are based in London, Birmingham and Manchester. This role will be based in London but may require frequent travel to client locations throughout the UK and occasionally overseas.
The role is for an Assistant Manager level Quantity Surveyor with a good level of experience and understanding of commercial management and the project controls services for major construction projects.
The role requires a reasonable level of post-qualification experience with the following attributes:
· Have a good understanding of the issues that impact project performance
· Ability to quickly assess new situations and data to provide a basis for developing an understanding of the causative issues
· Set out a clear approach to tackling a new project issue in the most efficient manner
· Analytical approach to problem solving
· Capable of articulating effective solutions to project issues base on own knowledge and experience
· Clear, concise, fact-based report writing
· Understanding of standard industry contractual forms
· Achieved or working towards RICS or similar professional qualification
· Competent in producing and assessing project commercial reports
In addition to the above, experience in some of the following areas would also be of benefit to the candidate in the environment that we work in:
· Project management
· Project Controls
· Earned value management
· Risk management
· Programme management
· Claims, disputes, dispute avoidance
· Governance and control of projects
In addition to the technical requirements of the role we also expect the right candidate to:
· Be capable of working alone or in a team
· Provide appropriate advice to clients and manage client relationships
· Maintain your requirements for continuing professional development
· Assist with business development
· Coach and mentor staff where appropriate
We are currently looking for a qualified accountants at Manager Level to join our thriving Financial Services Audit department in Edinburgh.
As a Manager you will be involved in all aspects of overseeing and ensuring the delivery of audit and assurance engagements from planning through to completion. Your role will include executive level client interaction and provide you with exposure to multiple clients on a regular basis. Recent client wins have prompted growth and expansion of the department.
Roles and Responsibilities
• You will build a portfolio of clients and have responsibility for agreeing audit timetables, briefing the audit team (including other specialists), monitoring budgets and supervising the KPMG audit process. This will include planning and reviewing audit fieldwork, statutory reporting and project management.
• Keeping Partners up to date with progress throughout the course of the assignment.
• Preparing and reviewing reports to senior management and audit committees
• Supervising and coaching junior members of staff.
• On-site involvement and being the key point of contact for senior level client staff throughout the year.
• Keeping up to date with KPMG's product and service offerings, identifying sales opportunities that will help us grow our business
• Involvement in the department leadership team aiming to continue the growth of our Financial Services department in Scotland.
Qualifications, Skills, Experience and Background
• Professionally qualified with a recognised accountancy body, ACA, ACCA or CPA. (or equivalent)
• Significant audit experience in Financial Services sector
• Sound and practical working knowledge of IFRS and UK GAAP.
• You will possess well developed leadership, supervisory and coaching skills and have the ability to effectively communicate (both verbally and through written media) with a wide range of individuals both internally and externally.
• Drive and resilience and ability to thrive in a pressured environment
• Strong project management techniques including decision-making ability, analytical skills, time management, organisation and evaluative skills.
• IT literacy with sound knowledge and experience of Excel/Word.
• Able to demonstrate strong business development acumen.
Our Corporate Treasury Services team is focused on serving the world's leading Corporate Treasuries with their most complex business challenges, and is currently experiencing an exceptional rate of growth. The team offer deep treasury expertise in financial products and markets, risk management, systems, governance, valuation and accounting, and work closely with other high impact functions within KPMG such as Audit, Risk Consulting and Management Consulting to provide a wide range of treasury advisory and audit services, including:
- Undertaking reviews and implementations of Treasury strategies, policies, target operating models, cash management processes, and technology and systems
- Risk management assessments including foreign exchange, interest rate, credit and commodities
- Providing specialist support to external audit teams, including derivative valuations, hedge accounting, and financial instrument classifications
- Internal audits on treasury functions ranging from FTSE100 to Housing Associations and Charities, including benchmarking
- Technical support on accounting and regulatory change projects such as IFRS 9 Financial Instruments, new UK GAAP, EMIR and Basel III
Role and Responsibilities
- Assist with delivering Treasury advisory and audit projects ranging from strategy reviews, target operating models, and audit support, including providing input to larger, multi-disciplinary teams
- Assist senior management in providing clients with advice on technical treasury and accounting issues
- Assist in the preparation of presentations, thought leadership collateral and marketing material
- Support the business development of KPMG’s IFRS 9 client proposition/offering, and assisting in the responses to IFRS 9 client proposals, with a primary focus on Corporates
There will also be opportunities to be involved in other accounting areas, as well as regulatory areas, e.g. EMIR, Basel.
Qualifications and Skills
- Must possess professional qualification - ACA, ACCA or CPA. Individuals on track to be exam and time qualified this year may also be considered
- Sound technical knowledge of IAS 39 and IFRS 9 standards, and their practical application
- Strong analytical skills and ability to complete client deliverables/solutions
- Very good project management skills, demonstrated by a record of project delivery
- Excellent communication skills, including delivering presentations and communicating well with clients in writing and verbally, as well as advising and building relationships with senior client personnel
- Enthusiasm and energy to contribute to the team and help it grow
Experience and Background
- Prior work experience in a Corporate Treasury function with good technical knowledge of financial instruments, risk management, treasury strategies, systems, governance and controls
- Strong knowledge of accounting for financial instruments under IFRS, UK GAAP or US GAAP
- Experience with evaluating technical issues, analysing facts, consulting and delivering solutions to clients
- Understanding of accounting developments and key current issues facing clients
- Proven ability to identify and pursue business opportunities whilst maintaining a solution mindset, as well as drive and resilience to deliver in a pressured environment
- Proven track record in working with teams to bring high quality deliverables to a range of stakeholders
KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax, Pensions & Legal, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
As a firm we help our clients navigate their biggest issues and opportunities. We aim to be universally recognised as a great place for great people to do their best work – a firm known for our collaborative and inclusive culture. And we will take pride in driving lasting, positive change in society.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
KPMG’s Infrastructure Advisory Group (IAG) is widely recognised as one of the world’s leading independent strategic advisors in the infrastructure sector. The group has won many awards, including financial advisor of the year (Infrastructure Journal). In the UK, the group consists of over 150 professionals, with locations in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Edinburgh and is organised as a single national team.
We provide in-depth advice on the strategic, economic, financial and commercial issues driving infrastructure projects spanning the transport, power and utilities and social infrastructure sectors in the UK and internationally.
IAG’s Transport business provides market-leading advice to public and private sector clients including Department for Transport, Network Rail, Transport for London, Owning Groups, Train Operating Companies, Major Airports, High Speed 2, Highways England, Rail Delivery Group, as well as major city region authorities and local authorities.
Over the last decade we have undertaken key roles on high profile multi-billion pound projects and programmes across the UK, these include Crossrail 2, High Speed 2, Mersey Gateway, Northern Line extension and East West Rail. KPMG has long been a pre-eminent adviser in the rail franchising sector. Most recently, we have advised successful bidders on the East Midlands, West Midlands, South Western, East Anglia and TransPennine franchises. Our role in these competitions spans finance, strategy, commercial and delivery plans. We are currently supporting Network Rail design and implement its Putting Passengers First transformation programme.
IAG’s Transport Economics and Regulation team
Within IAG, the Transport Economics and Regulation team works with transport sector clients to develop commercial strategies, produce business plans, value economic impacts, and achieve better outcomes from regulatory policy and regulatory strategy.
Key service lines include:
― Pricing for transport services.
― Efficiency of capital investment.
― Efficiency of transport operations (benchmarking performance and operating costs).
― Economic regulation of transport infrastructure and services.
In response to the increasing demand for advice to support policy, regulation and investment decisions across the transport sector, we are looking for a high calibre, ambitious economist to join the team and play an integral role in the continued development of our business.
Key activities include:
― Undertaking a broad range of economic analysis including:
– Economic analysis
– Cost and performance benchmarking
– Pricing and incentives
– Economic and regulatory impact assessments.
― Writing technical and non-technical reports.
― Business development activities including writing proposals, and seeking out opportunities for new business.
― Developing and maintaining client relationships.
― Working with and managing colleagues.
― General project management and administrative activities.
Responsibility for delivering engagements in collaboration with senior colleagues. This will involve being able to scope work, develop project plans, deliver outputs and present to internal and external stakeholders
We encourage and expect all of our team to play an active role in engaging with clients and internal stakeholders. This includes building relationships, working closely on projects and presenting our findings.
― Experience working for or with an economic regulator, regulated company, economic/financial consultancy or as a government economist.
― Excellent understanding of transport policy, economic regulation and commercial performance.
― Knowledge of airports, railways and local public transport operations.
― Strong technical skills in economic analysis
― Strong report writing skills
― Flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing requirements.
― The ability to identify problems and contribute to the development of solutions, helping us to remain at the cutting-edge of thinking in the sector.
― The ability to develop work which anticipates and can withstand third party scrutiny and challenge.
― Financial modelling
― Econometric analysis
To manage and develop external client relationships though direct business development activity and internal people/resource management. This will be achieved through:
• Leading client engagement teams and in some instances working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
• Providing a high quality advisory service to our clients
• Building and maintaining strong relationships with both new and existing clients as well as within KPMG
• Reserving for clients in the Lloyd’s / London Market, including for Lloyd’s Statements of Actuarial Opinion and Solvency II Technical Provisions
• Winning new business through marketing and sales activities
• Creation and contribution to high quality thought leadership through written publications, training events, client seminars and conferences
• Contributing to the development of new products and services
• Sharing knowledge and experience and contributing to the development of the team
• Marketing and raising the profile of KPMG
• A willingness to undertake travel will be required on occasion
• Multiple IFRS 17 impact assessments which have also led to IFRS17 implementation projects.
• Statements of Actuarial opinion
• Pricing assurance projects
• Providing assistance to Companies undertaking mergers and acquisitions
• Helping Companies with their capital models and advising on capital planning
• Provision of actuarial expertise to support our Audit colleagues
Qualifications and Skills:
The successful candidate is expected to be a qualified actuary.
• The capability to manage concurrent engagements and play a part in shaping and implementing KPMG's tailored solutions.
• Must be able to produce deliverables to a high standard that are ready for final review, with a complete and comprehensive audit trail.
• Lloyd’s / London Market reserving or pricing experience
• Knowledge of the workings of the Lloyd’s market will be advantageous
• The ability to develop productive relationships that bring in business
• Strong technical and communication skills (both written and oral) and the ability to deal with clients and senior personnel from day one
• Flexibility and an enjoyment of working on challenging projects, and interacting with teams from other business groups
• Strong project and people management skills, and an ability to structure task allocations around critical goals
• Strong coaching skills to develop the capabilities of junior team members
• Advanced Excel skills.
• Knowledge of UK regulatory regime for non-life insurers.
• Knowledge of UK reporting methodologies, e.g. UK GAAP, IFRS, PRA Returns.
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral, and an ability to explain actuarial concepts to non-actuaries.
• A broad knowledge of non-life insurance products
Candidates with any of the following skills would be considered favourably:
• Modelling (eg Igloo, ReMetrica);
• Programming (eg VBA, .NET);
• Must be flexible and enjoy working on a wide range of projects.
• Experience gained within either a consultancy or company environment are both equally advantageous